Caster issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caster issue

"So I bought this amp...." That should be the first sentence of every horror novel. ;-)

The amp is a Peavey TKO 115 bass amp combo and is very heavy. Someone installed popout casters on the amp. The only problem is the casters stick into the area where the grill cloth frame would go.

I need to do something so the grill frame will fit securely.

My ideas are:

1) Remove the sockets. Plug the holes. Install permanent casters that have a mounting plate so I don't have to drill holes (other than screw holes).

2) Remove the sockets. Plug the holes. Install feet instead of casters.

3) Remove the sockets. Install some sort of gasket or spacer to offset the sockets so they sit proud of the cabinet and not flush.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3883.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	983513

Name:	IMG_3884.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	983514

Name:	IMG_3888.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	841.3 KB
ID:	983515

Originally posted by Axtman View Post
    "So I bought this amp...." That should be the first sentence of every horror novel. ;-)
    There is a series on youtube..."Owner states..." about automotive repair. Pretty funny.

Can you just notch cylinders out of the grill frame to accommodate the casters?

--
    I build and repair guitar amps
    http://amps.monkeymatic.com

Comment

I'll have to check that series out. Thanks.

Yes I can notch the grill frame but then it would weakend it. One good yank that the frame would be kindling.

Comment

Pull the casters and throw them off an overpass. Their implementation was clearly poorly considered. Nothing but trouble. Attempt repairs as needed to keep the amp from coming apart or rattling when played due to structural damage. And get a cart to haul the amp on.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Can't see the installed casters to know if they are any good or not. Your #3 option implies they may be suitable for this kind of weight.
          If so, and you are not set on having the PV grill, you could remove the grill, spray paint the front, and install a round metal type grille, something lilke this:
          https://www.parts-express.com/Heavy-...-Grill-262-866
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Be aware that pop out casters generally always have another board installed internally to provide more strength. When I build a cab, I plan for the extra reinforcement.
            Fender installed their casters inboard of the feet, stick a one by board that clears the baffle, and drill deep enough to flush the socket.
            This pic of a UL Twin I rehabilitated shows the extra boards installed.

Name:	SFT12.jpg.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	929.1 KB
ID:	983868

Comment

Working...
            X