Black interior cabinet paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black interior cabinet paint?

What do you guys use to paint the interior of an open back guitar combo cabinet? I would like to find a thin flat black paint. Old Fender amps use something that is a kin to whitewash. The black paint comes off when you wipe it with a wet rag.

The paints I find now-a-days are thick and almost too good. Maybe I can just thin them down?

Caring little about the environment I spray mine with black lacquer, which is available very cheap and dries super fast.

I used to use Varathane black Classic Interior Wood Stain, which I sometimes thinned down, but the spray lacquer is so much easier

​I also use bondo to smooth my poor joints

Comment

Originally posted by Axtman View Post
      What do you guys use to paint the interior of an open back guitar combo cabinet?...
      I use General Finishes black wood stain rather than a paint. You can read about it at https://generalfinishes.com/wood-fin...20Wood%20Stain

Comment

A rattle can of flat black does it every time. I don't even have a brand preference.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I was going to say that, but I thought I'd leave the question to the resident paint pro.
          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
            I was going to say that, but I thought I'd leave the question to the resident paint pro.
            Well to be honest I don't even think anyone makes flat black spray paint formulated just for wood but it's the easiest way to do it and it's not a real demanding circumstance. When I cover a cabinet with black Tolex I also spray paint the corners and any seams where errant workmanship might show.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

I did make a mistake using "semi-gloss" paint on a baffle, it's fine unless the light is just right!

Click image for larger version

Name:	TL1.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	1,019.8 KB
ID:	996241
              Click image for larger version  Name:	RSTC2.jpg Views:	31 Size:	260.1 KB ID:	996088
              Last edited by Bill Moore; 03-19-2024, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Moore View Post
                I did make a mistake using "semi-gloss" paint on a baffle, it's fine unless the light is just right!
                Click image for larger version

Name:	RSTC2.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	260.1 KB
ID:	996088
                I might do that myself if I did't have any flat on hand. Assuming "it'll be fine" as I would rationalize it being behind the grill cloth. Totally understandable to me.

Comment

Working...
                X