Old Amps, old caps.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Amps, old caps.

I have a Marshall 2040 Reverb Artiste 50watt 2 x 12 combo that I bought new in 1972 - yes, I'm an oldfart. This amp is 37 years old and has only ever had one repair when the bias rectifier died in 2002 and the EL34's became toaster elements - briefly. It has spent most of its life under cover and only been used in anger for something like 48 hours in total over it's lifetime - are the filter caps likely to be near death? Do electrolytics need to be powered up to deteroriate?

Originally posted by GraemeSP View Post
    I have a Marshall 2040 Reverb Artiste 50watt 2 x 12 combo that I bought new in 1972...It has spent most of its life under cover and only been used in anger for something like 48 hours in total over it's lifetime - are the filter caps likely to be near death? Do electrolytics need to be powered up to deteroriate?
    Hi GraemeSP, and a heart-felt welcome to the forum!

The answer to your first question is yes.

As to your second question, actually, is the other way around, electrolytics deteriorate faster (and can even explode on powering up the amp ) if they're not used for long periods of time, as the electrolyte tend to dry....you could try to "reform" them, but, considering they're 37 years old, I strongly advise you to replace them all, because, even if they don't explode or leak liquid, they could have developed some ESR which would keep them from operating properly.

Hope this helps

Best regards

Bob
    Hoc unum scio: me nihil scire.

Comment

Bob is correct, you should replace them. Even if you had been using the amp it's time. There are all kinds of places to get the right caps, Ted Weber and Doug Hoffman for starters.
      Stop by my web page!

Comment

Thanks guys - I would have just plugged in and prayed. I'll sort out some new caps.

Comment

Working...
        X