Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Understanding power requirements

Here's the scenario:
    I want to run a 6v6 output, tube where 2 x 12ax7's and a cats eye tube were drawing heater and high tension power.
    The heater supply is sufficient.
    I think the B+ voltage will be fine also, it is the power transformer B+ ability to supply current that I'm not sure about.
    The transformer looks beefy:
    This amp came with
    6v6
    5y3
    3 x 12a_7's
    A cats eye tube for record metering.
    {It now works great with 6v6, 5y3 and 12au7}
    I would like to have:
    2x 6v6 and one 12au7, 5y3.
    Also considering having a 6sn7 instead of 12au7.
    Comments requested...thank you for any suggestions in advance !
    IIUC the main problem with a slight over-current consumption would be power transformer 'baking' ?
    [or could it all of a sudden 'fitz' out while still running cool and thats it's for it ?]

Here's what I have:
    5y3 Power supply that was intended for
    cats eye tube [6e5]
    3 x 12a*7's
    and a 6v6.
    ------------------------------
    Now runs a 12ax7 and a 6v6, very nice.
    What I want is to have the 12ax7 drive dual mono 6v6 outputs.
    The second 6v6 would be drawing heater power that was 'intended' for the original tube compliment, that looks to be fine.
    What I want to know is when the 6v6 plate draws more current than what 2x 12ax7's and a Catseye would, will that be extra work for the PT that it won't handle...considering I can see if it starts getting hot ?

Comment

Originally posted by petemoore View Post
      Here's what I have:
      5y3 Power supply that was intended for
      cats eye tube [6e5]
      3 x 12a*7's
      and a 6v6.
      Now runs a 12ax7 and a 6v6, very nice.
      What I want is to have the 12ax7 drive dual mono 6v6 outputs.
      The second 6v6 would be drawing heater power that was 'intended' for the original tube compliment, that looks to be fine.
      What I want to know is when the 6v6 plate draws more current than what 2x 12ax7's and a Catseye would, will that be extra work for the PT that it won't handle...considering I can see if it starts getting hot ?
      I'd bet it wouldn't handle it. No telling if it would last long enough to heat up the PT. It probably would last long enough to see how much the B+ voltage sags compared to unloaded. That's the build-it-and-see method, and IMO (in this case), is a waste of time. Get a PT rated for a pair of SE 6V6s and get it over with.

Since it sounds very nice as is, why not leave it that way?

Comment

Working...
      X