X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6SN7 for Firefly ?

http://www.ax84.com/index.php/oldpro...ect_id=firefly
    Anyone tried this using a 6SN7 ?
    Seems like it should work, any suggestions as to what I would need to mod [beyond the pinout/assignents and heater] are welcome.
    The other bit of info I can muster about the 6SN7 is shown in the negative grid bias setup of the October, I wonder if that is 'necessary' or for what reason it is used for the Oct.
    http://www.ax84.com/october.html

A quick google turned this up on the AX84 forum:

http://www.ax84.com/bbs/index.php?id=174301

There's a few bits and pieces there. Are you trying to get more volume out of your Firefly?
    Check out my signal generator for your iPhone or iPod Touch.

Comment

less

Actually I'm either trying to get less volume from my 5e3 or 18watt, or simply make use of the 6SN7's and 6SL7's and a PP output transformer came out of an AC15 RI amp.
      I have a SS Recto PS built up that puts out 228VDC, I might try it like that for a while then maybe put transformer for a higher voltage B+ in at some point.
      If I crank these >10w amps to the point where they sound right in the living room...other forms of communication are severely impaired, TV / Phone calls must then be done / made outside, basically.
      Moonlight looks about right I think, that or...probably the Moonlight amp.

Comment

A 6N1P in a Ax84 High Octane, with a purposely inefficient speaker sounds very nice at ~1/2 watt, or include the Firezog headphone in the FF?

Comment

The negative bias on the October is fixed bias, and the small cathode resistor is for current sensing so you can easily probe the output. The fixed bias will be a more efficient P-P (therefore slightly louder, all things considered) because you don't loose power dropped across a larger cathode resistor found with cathode bias.
          Why not try a SE circuit with an EL84 and a master volume? Master volumes don't give you identical 'cranked' tone, but then using a 6SN7 as an output is a different animal too. Even 1W is surprisingly loud. The EL84 might work pretty well with your supply. For example: 264V with 200 ohm cathode resistor idles you at ~40mA = 74% of plate dissipation. It would also only take 7 or 8Vpk to drive it before clipping.
          Black sheep, black sheep, you got some wool?
          Ya, I do man. My back is full.

Comment

more data...

.... (I see your supply is different) at 228V and cathode reisitor of 120 will idle at 46mA @ 72% and take 5 to 6Vpk to clip. Any OT with 2.5K to 5K primary would be fine.
            Black sheep, black sheep, you got some wool?
            Ya, I do man. My back is full.

Comment

Working...
            X