Hammond L-100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey There,
    I just got one of these amps myself and was planning on trying out otto's schematic...
    Couple quick questions...
    Has anyone found a 3.9ohm/.25w Flameproof anywhere in stock? It seems to be impossible to find...
    Also, what are people using for the multi-section capacitors? Seems like a 50/50/50/50 450V/500V is impossible to find as well...

Thanks in Advance!

Comment

Originally posted by RedRabbit View Post
      Hey There,
      I just got one of these amps myself and was planning on trying out otto's schematic...
      Couple quick questions...
      Has anyone found a 3.9ohm/.25w Flameproof anywhere in stock? It seems to be impossible to find...
      Also, what are people using for the multi-section capacitors? Seems like a 50/50/50/50 450V/500V is impossible to find as well...

Thanks in Advance!
      Found this one:25W 3.9 ohm 3R9 Aluminium clad Resistor 25 W Watt x 1 | eBay

I used a pair of 33uf 450v caps as a replacement for the original can caps in a plexi 18watt clone conversion, it worked well. I've also reused the original can caps 2-50+50/450v with no issues. I guess it depends on how dried out they are and what condition they're in, hit or miss.

I've found Partsexpress.com is a good source for caps and fleabay for the odd stuff.

Comment

Sorry to resurrect this thread. I have a couple of questions about your build if you don't mind

I bought an old L-122 (I'm aware that the amplifiers in these organs were very similar to the L-100) and I'm 'converting' the reverb section of the amp to a stand-alone reverb unit and will later build an AC15 type of thing with the rest of the parts (might also try and 'convert' the phasing vibrato to a stand alone unit later on if its viable).

My questions concern the reverb stages of your build.

Firstly did you add in the cathode bypass cap on the parallel 12BH7 stage, or was it stock in your amp? I understand that it would lead to more gain. If you did add it in, how do you like the results? I'm considering adding a switchable cathode bypass cap to mine, as mine just has the 390R resistor.

Secondly, what is the frequency response of your reverb signal like? Is it not too boomy with the 50uF cap? I've tested out my circuit already and I find that it has a little too much bass, for my tastes at least.

Thirdly, do you know what the current requirements of the 12BH7 stages are, more or less? I've been trying to map out a power supply circuit, but when trying to do the calculations for the plate current of the 12BH7's, I hit a snag, as the plates are choke loaded. Apparently the correct load curve for this is an ellipse, and not a lot of fun to draw. I read somewhere that when doing the calculations for this type of arrangement, one should assume the plate load to be more or less equal to the resistor going to ground before the reverb pan (220k, ie 110k for each triode). Using these values in my calculations I've worked out the plate current to be approx 3mA per triode, however I believe that this is grossly inaccurate. Someone also posted on another forum that the total plate current for parallel 12BH7 stages should be around 20-30mA which I believe to be closer to the mark. Does anyone know how to do these calculations?

Thanks,
        Jono

Comment

Originally posted by makepeace View Post
          Sorry to resurrect this thread. I have a couple of questions about your build if you don't mind

I bought an old L-122 (I'm aware that the amplifiers in these organs were very similar to the L-100) and I'm 'converting' the reverb section of the amp to a stand-alone reverb unit and will later build an AC15 type of thing with the rest of the parts (might also try and 'convert' the phasing vibrato to a stand alone unit later on if its viable).

My questions concern the reverb stages of your build.

Firstly did you add in the cathode bypass cap on the parallel 12BH7 stage, or was it stock in your amp? I understand that it would lead to more gain. If you did add it in, how do you like the results? I'm considering adding a switchable cathode bypass cap to mine, as mine just has the 390R resistor.

Secondly, what is the frequency response of your reverb signal like? Is it not too boomy with the 50uF cap? I've tested out my circuit already and I find that it has a little too much bass, for my tastes at least.

Thirdly, do you know what the current requirements of the 12BH7 stages are, more or less? I've been trying to map out a power supply circuit, but when trying to do the calculations for the plate current of the 12BH7's, I hit a snag, as the plates are choke loaded. Apparently the correct load curve for this is an ellipse, and not a lot of fun to draw. I read somewhere that when doing the calculations for this type of arrangement, one should assume the plate load to be more or less equal to the resistor going to ground before the reverb pan (220k, ie 110k for each triode). Using these values in my calculations I've worked out the plate current to be approx 3mA per triode, however I believe that this is grossly inaccurate. Someone also posted on another forum that the total plate current for parallel 12BH7 stages should be around 20-30mA which I believe to be closer to the mark. Does anyone know how to do these calculations?

Thanks,
          Jono

i used 1/2 a 12au7 insted of the 12bh7 in my Hammond L122 reverb amp mod .. There are a couple thing on my schematic that have changed . the tube 1/2's that say 12at7 are actually 12au7. R9 1meg has been removed, R12 & R13 are 100k and i have a 380ohm bais resistor for the EL84's.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by baddog; 05-20-2013, 03:08 AM.

Comment

Below are pictures of how I mounted the pots and the standoffs for the board where purchased at radioshack. The 2x10 cab is an old Kalamazoo Bass cabinet that i picked up a few years back. The amp fit in it perfectly and sounds great. The reverb is classic hammond .... nice

Comment

Lightning copy

Click image for larger version

Name:	lightning copy.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	829125

Name:	lightning copy rear.JPG
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	829126

Name:	lightning copy circuit.JPG
Size:	285.7 KB
ID:	829127

organdonor amplification

Comment

Traynor coupled 12AX7's to Reverb springs through a .1uf capacitor, (high impedance primary 2250 ohms). I've used that method many times.
                Check out Traynor Studio Mate YGM-4 for example.

Comment

Working...
                X