Thomas Organ Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tstockma View Post
    I'm real glad to find this thread--I bought a Thomas VT-2 maybe 6 weeks back at an estate sale for $15, because it has that rotating Leslie (model "Leslie 10B"). Mine is a 1 speed, it's a single mono amp, and I supposed the organ is a generation older than yours, Audie.

Glad to hear you got yours working! I'm just starting the disassembly on my electronics, hoping to salvage the amp & any controls & effects that aren't part of the main big boards. BTW it seems a shame--this organ sounds (well sounded) waaaaay cool, but they are cheap & plentiful on craigslist.

RWood, your comments are extremely helpful & confirm a few of my ideas--but I suspect I'm way behind both of you in my knowledge--so I'll be back asking a few questions, I suspect.

Here's my pics...thanks again for your knowledge. Tom in Denver
    I have two of those amplifiers in my basement and i converted a third one into a Matchless Spifire for a friend. He absolutly loves the amplifier.......Alot of these old amplifiers have great MOJO when converted to guitar amplifers.......

Comment

Where to start

So where does one begin the conversion? The keys are weak and very hit or miss, but the amplifier and the Leslie seem to be working. I have kept the unit whole until I have some direction as to how to proceed to convert the unit to a guitar amplifier. Any suggestions, directions, or guidance are all appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Audie1966 View Post
        So where does one begin the conversion? The keys are weak and very hit or miss, but the amplifier and the Leslie seem to be working. I have kept the unit whole until I have some direction as to how to proceed to convert the unit to a guitar amplifier. Any suggestions, directions, or guidance are all appreciated.
        THe one you have is a 2 channel amp and wouldnt make a great guitar amplifier because of that fact uinles you could bend up a new smaller chassis. IF it where mine I would find a way to sell it on ebay and buy a smaller mono block tube amplifier . You could probibly get a fair amount of money from that amp to fund a better project. The chassis is just to big and cumbersom as far as im concerned. But its all up to you. I usualy dont try to modify the existing design in the amp for guitar I usualt gut it and start from scratch with a proven design.

Comment

Yea I guess I have the same question...where to start? Well not quite well to start...I've started, my organ is in pieces. Before I assemble a new cabinet for the leslie & mono amp out of the wreckage of the organ, I want a better idea what to do for a head...what signal do I need to send in this amp? I'm a noob at this. Is it standard line signal? Standard pre-amp signal? If anyone can give a hint here, that'd be huge help--thanks!

The amp's details are slightly sketchy, "THOMAS TYPE CA TONE CABPP". Hmm.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by tstockma; 05-22-2010, 02:42 PM. Reason: adding picture

Comment

Where to start

Hey Audie here's a doc I've found that I'm finding useful, you might also. It covers much more than organs, but deeper into it I'm finding paydirt on determining what level signal I need to input, also on some circuitry in that amp that we probably want to cut out.

HTH: http://www.vacuumtubecollective.com/...rttoguitar.doc

Comment

Hi, I have one of these Thomas amps, similar to the one Audie1966 describes. Does anyone have a schematic for this?
              Thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X