Starter questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter questions...

I have a very poorly made homebuilt amp with all the components just soldered together above the chassis. I'd like to rebuild it into something sturdy enough to travel with. The amp sounds pretty good I'm just convinced that it won't hold up like it is.

It's 3-12AX7's, 2-6V6's and a 5Y3. Transformers are supposedly from a Hammond organ.

Question: Where would I start on rebuilding this? There's no schematic for the current layout so once I cut it all out I'm on my own. I'd love to be able to find a good layout, schematic, and turret board for an amp that is similar to this (maybe a Tweed Deluxe?) Any advice on a good starting point is greatly appreciated.

When you take it apart, trace the schematic. If it sounds good you might want to rebuild it the way it was.
    Post it here so we can discuss it.

Cheers,
    Albert

Comment

That may be the best way...

My only fear with that is if I don't trace everything out correctly I'll be stuck since i don't have any kind of reference to work from. I think I will start there.
      It looks like I have a couple of unused halves of a 12AX7--how hard it be to add reverb? I know I'd need to add a tank; I'm wondering how involved it would be to use the unused gain stages for a reverb driver and recovery circuit. I'd REALLY like to some reverb...

Comment

Working...
      X