Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what would you make of it?

hey people
    i have just picked up a 'RSC regent 50' intended for bass. from what i understand, these may have been sold as kits originally. and didn't sound that good
    it has EL34 x2 ECC83 x3 and a rectifying GZ34.

what i would like to do is change as little as possible in order to get a decent sounding classic guitar/bass amp.

i was thinking of doing an 18watter some time back but decided not to destroy the donor amp. so my first thought was a Marshall clone, around 50watts as opposed to a fender (because its a pair of el34's) maybe a jtm50 cos its got the tube rectifier or a jmp 50.

any opinions from the marshall fans? what amps would you be looking at?

the chassis is quite small but there is some room, i would ideally like to leave the transformers and tube mounts where they are and possibly construct my own new homegrown turretboard to tidy things up with the new layout. i'd want the el34s to stay too but may consider ditching the rectifier for SS.

or if your not a marshall fan and have a better idea?

there is a schematic here
    Linear RSC Bass Regent Schematic Diagram

Comment

Yes, a JTM45 comes to mind - but what about something not so common, like a Selmer Zodiac or a Vox AC50? Sunn Solarus?

Edit: Restore it first and decide if you like it stock.

Comment

Well, with the pre gain stage volume controls and the very odd direct coupled LTP PI feeding a pair of gain stages that share a common cathode R with no bypass cap, Hmmmm, I don't think this would make a very satisfying guitar amp as is. But the tube compliment is great for any number of projects. If you want to keep it simple then a JTM45 is the obvious choice, but theres nothing to stop you from converting to 6L6 type tubes either if you don't want a Marshall style amp. Provided the voltages are suitable. The schematic doesn't indicate, but does elude to lowish plate volts for EL34 type tubes, so maybe. What kind of tone do you like? That's really the Q.

Chuck
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

hey,
          I suppose that is the question, although the fact that you mentioned the simplicity of the conversion also factors.
          tbh i have never had a 'proper' Marshall, i had a 1990's jtm60 combo on extended loan for sometime but that was nothing but trouble. it also sounded unlike many other marshalls i have heard.(very bright)

plus i've never been a fan of the generic marshall backline you see in every photo of bands, ever. so i tried to stick to the uglier underdogs. if i was gonna have one this would be the way. i could give it whatever name i wanted then

i dont think i have as great a basis for comparison as some seem to, but i know what i like. the ones i have used most are:
          i have an orange TT and love it, easily my favourite tone when overdriven. only one channel tho and breaks up pretty early.
          my old carlsbro 60tc w/4x12 was my fave and also most reliable gigging amp. thats mostly clean but with hints of something beautiful i cant quite finger.
          selmer t'nb 50 mk2, sounds very nice for bass and guitar but i dont like carting it around for more than practice or recording.
          and best of my SS is the fender pro185, cant really use that for comparison being SS, but i do love it.

the only marshall i have is a 50mg dfx, which i have used in my pals tiny rehearsal room loads without any bother. i guess its nice for a practise amp. thats about it.
          i think it would be good to stick with the el34s. what about the rectifier? will this give me less power than a diode set?

Comment

Working...
          X