baldwin amp conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ran Randle View Post
    I think this is the way to go, thanks. I was considering this 5E5 layout but may go with something else. Is this 5E5 a good match for the PT and OT on this baldwin? Can't seem to find any info on the PT windings (512-14512F) stamped on top....
    I re-read this thread and I can't find where it was ever resolved if your amp has one OT or two. Well regardless, as long as you keep the same basic configuration and can match the speaker impedance, you should be able to attach a preamp. Layout might become an issue. Where you place the preamp tubes, the front panel controls and input jacks can easily end up a disaster. It doesn't look like there is really much room left on the chassis. The safest route is to build the preamp on a separate chassis that connects to the Baldwin via a cable that supplies B+ and heater voltages. You may even be able to make the preamp detachable using one of the sockets on the Baldwin and build several preamps. Any Fender tweed or blackface is a safe choice. A Marshall 2203 can be a little tricky. A Dumble or Soldano will cause endless problems.
    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Originally posted by loudthud View Post
      I re-read this thread and I can't find where it was ever resolved if your amp has one OT or two. Well regardless, as long as you keep the same basic configuration and can match the speaker impedance, you should be able to attach a preamp. Layout might become an issue. Where you place the preamp tubes, the front panel controls and input jacks can easily end up a disaster. It doesn't look like there is really much room left on the chassis. The safest route is to build the preamp on a separate chassis that connects to the Baldwin via a cable that supplies B+ and heater voltages. You may even be able to make the preamp detachable using one of the sockets on the Baldwin and build several preamps. Any Fender tweed or blackface is a safe choice. A Marshall 2203 can be a little tricky. A Dumble or Soldano will cause endless problems.
      It has one OT and there's a very large choke next to the PT that looks like a OT but it has two wires which someone pointed out. I think gutting it and rebuilding with a new chassis with more room to work is best. I'd like to avoid an outboard preamp I guess.

Comment

A necro thread update to say I gave myself a Christmas gift by looking deeper.
        Yes, it is truly split.
        Two output transformers with one for high frequency and one for low (normal).

It was just my luck that an exact matching output transformer was in the boneyard, another
        Baldwin organ.
        Took that output transformer and mounted it on the back panel and removed the HF output.

Updated the filter caps and I am now running it as a power amp.
        Works fine and I couldn't be happier!

Yes, I know I could upgrade it here and there, but it beats the consumer grade "amp" I was using!
        Super-versatile with the mixer connected to it.

Comment

Working...
        X