Hot Rod DeVille to a tweed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Rod DeVille to a tweed?

I have a hot rod deville. I don't use it (too loud), can't get anything for it (too ubiquitous), and it's not worth packing away hoping it'll become vintage someday (Fender's best amp days are well behind them)...

It could, with a little work, become the basis for one of the many medium sized tweeds. The chassis is tanklike. I'd probably sell off the cab, I don't think an MDF cab would work for a tweed. Not sure about the speakers...

I checked the specs on the transformers, and I think I can make them work. It seems Fender used OTs that have multiple secondary taps. I'd need a filament transformer for the rectifier, but those are cheap enough.

A rock-solid chassis, and good transformers... right there are the most expensive parts of a new build. Having the chassis already drilled and cut would save a ton of time, because for me this is the most important and time consuming part of a new build (well, I guess I'd have to cut a hole for the recto).

Anyone ever try converting one of these to something more interesting? Google can't seem to find anyone who has, so either I am original, crazy, or both.
    In the future I invented time travel.

Forum member NTBluesguitar (friend of mine) has converted some Hot Rods to 5E5 type tweeds. You can see his work here:

Green Eagle Amps - Conversion Process
    "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
    - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by JoeM View Post
      Forum member NTBluesguitar (friend of mine) has converted some Hot Rods to 5E5 type tweeds. You can see his work here:

Green Eagle Amps - Conversion Process
      Thanks for the link, that's more or less what I had in mind. I see he puts them into the original cabs. I wonder how that would sound compared to the old fashioned finger jointed pine. Man, I really need a drill press!
      In the future I invented time travel.

Comment

I think he built a cab using pine, you can contact him and ask. I dont think the pine cab would have much difference, but a speaker upgrade may be a bigger improvement.
        "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
        - Yogi Berra

Comment

Working...
        X