Score or not, you be the judge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Score or not, you be the judge.

Just got an amp from Hammond L-212 tube line up is 5U4, 6bq5x2,mystery tube,12ax7,and a 12BH7. All tubes are missing so I have no idea what the unmarked nine pin socket is. Pulled this from the trash. Someone broke it up and put it in the dumpster. I could have scored a speaker that looked like a P10Q, but I already smashed it with the compacter. So what would this be good for? Maybe an 18watter. I also got the reverb tank, it's a gibb two spring with a bar that can be pushed against the springs to control it?.

I could use the power transformer as a torture device on small animals!

Comment

Gut it and build a Marshall 18 watt light variant a spitfire. I would use an solid state rectifier.

Comment

Why SS rectifier? The 18 watt light variant a spitfire sounds interesting. Are there any soundclips of ths amp? How about a schematic and layout? If I build it it will be a long slow process as I'm a bit of a noob still having only builf a 5F1.

Comment

Sounds like an AO-43, look for a stamp on the side with a code like that. You can build a great amp with it, no need to copy a marshall 18 watt and its inherent noise and stability problems, or a spitfire and its funky bright high end. There's a nice tagboard in there, the power transformer is beefy, and the opt is suitable for el84, 6v6 at around 7k primary impedance @8ohms. I gut them and start over, and get about 395 vdc with a solid state rectifier, 378 with the 5u4 @ reasonable cathode current (20-22ma) at idle. I've used the stock hammond west german 6bq5's, jj el84's and 6p14p-ev's with no issues.

I dig the whole freeform "ship in a bottle" construction methodology of true point to point, so I use tagboards like Matchless. Here's some pics, old ones. My new layouts are cleaner than these. I have a couple of head cabinets for ao43's I'd let go of, customer wanted maple or a different color. I have a hard time making two the same color

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	191.0 KB
ID:	829063Click image for larger version

Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	829064Click image for larger version

Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	829065Click image for larger version

Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	829066

Comment

I say SCORE, by the way

Comment

Score.

Spitfire.
              "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Thanks guys! sorry for taking so long to reply. This is something I realy want to build, but with other things going on right now it may be a while. I think you are right about it being n AO-43 altho I don't see any codes on the chassis. It's got a eyelet board with about 18 or 20 pair of eyelets so I should be able to use it for what ever I build. What about the reverb? From reserching it looks like reverb doesn't go well with an 18 watt variant. Is this the general opinion here?

Comment

Working...
                X