'51 Stromberg Carlson AU29 Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '51 Stromberg Carlson AU29 Conversion

I scored a great deal on a '51 Stromberg Carlson converted tube PA last year. It was listed for $100 on CL "as is" because it wasn't working. I'm a bit of a vintage amp junky and couldn't resist. It only took me a few minutes to figure out that the problem was that the power switch on the volume pot was bad.

I put in a new power switch, added a fuse holder since it didn't have one and replaced the badly worn 2-conductor cable with a grounded cable.

The amp is single ended 6L6 powered, 5Y3 rectified and has 6SJ7 metal can octal preamp tubes.

I stumbled onto a deal on some vintage glass and grabbed a nice old '50s brown base Sylvania JAN 5Y3WGTA rectifier and a short body Sylvania 6L6WGB to replace the 6L6 coke bottle type. I thought it would be a good idea to change the power tube before I cook it.

Fresh Vintage glass - tubes replaced

6SJ7 metal can octals. I picked up a few spares of these too for swapping.

So the big question, how does it sound? I made a short clean & dirty clip using this V30 loaded 212 cab.
    I want to try it through my pine CTS alnico 212 but I have to rewire the speaker cable for that. The amp will handle 4, 8 & 16 ohm loads depending on how the cable is wired. The speaker jack is an octal tube base.

Here’s the clip

Don't change nothin'! Nice score, and doesn't sound like anything else out there.

Justin
    "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
    "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
    "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

I just discovered that they made glass tube alternates for the metal can pentodes in the preamp. You know I have to try it...LOL.
      NOS Sylvania 6SJ7GT on the way.

Comment

Got the tube and it tested as new.

I put it in the amp and fired it up this morning.

Comment

I take it that's JUST the amp? Why do we spend so much on mass-produced stuff again? That's friggin' awesome!

Justin
          "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
          "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
          "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Lovely. The conversion looks like it was nicely done, too. Hard to believe someone gave up on itso easily.

Comment

I agree. It's a fantastic little amp and definitely something different in my collection.

Comment

Strat > EQ pedal > amp. It's a great little amp.

Comment

Well done, my friend.
                  Senior Customer Support Manager
                  Wally World, Inc.

Comment

Riffraff, I've been trying to find an AU-29 since I heard that clip over at the Marshall Forum. I finally played around with the schematic and built one. The tone is amazing - The closest thing to it IMO is a Vox AC-30 with a treble booster. It's mean sounding with humbuckers and thick and smooth with single coils. Thanks for the inspiration!

Here's the schematic I came up with. It's really close to stock. I mainly just trimmed it down to the phono preamp and AF amplifier and made the negative feedback switchable.

Comment

Comment

If you were to build one I suppose you could replace the two 6SJ7s with one 12AX7? Not much to it then. You could even use a diode rectifier. Then you are down to two tubes.

Comment

Working...
                        X