Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chemtooler
    replied
    Those are good ideas olddawg. I am looking at using an eyelet board.

Leave a comment:

• Chemtooler
    replied
    Randall, thanks for the info. I am gong to give it a shot and I will keep you posted. If I get in too deep, I may need to take it to that "guy" you know. He has done some great work for me
    Last edited by tboy; 11-27-2017, 04:19 AM. Reason: typo

Leave a comment:

• olddawg
    replied
    You really don't need to use a filter cap can. Electrolytic capacitors are much smaller and more accurate than 50 years ago. You could use individual capacitors. It's cheaper than a replacement can cap. You can also "stuff" them in the old can if you want, but I'm sure there's plenty of room in the box either way. Since you are changing and rewiring tube sockets anyway, I would recommend using all new ceramic sockets. They are very inexpensive. I would also consider using a turret or tag board. If it's your first build, point to point construction can be maddening.
    Last edited by olddawg; 11-27-2017, 03:10 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Randall
    replied
    Welcome to MEF!

I would consider 5uF to be undersized in a HV tube amp power supply filter. Either your Bogen has been upgraded to 20uF, or the design changed, but the schematic didn't. Either way, it is an improvement. If you want to use the original 4 slot mounting insulator to mount the new can, you could get a 20/20/20/20@450v can, and jumper two of the 20's to make a 40uF for the first node for a little better filtering.

Mfd is the same as uF, both express microfarads. In dealing with caps, especially in high voltage situations, the tolerances for capacitance or uF is pretty loose, and not highly critical, so the difference between 20 and 40 uF isn't that much. However, the voltage rating is more important. Always use a rating at or higher than designed. For instance, this four cap 20uF can is rated at 475v, where the original is 450v, making the replacement an improvement, especially with today's higher wall voltages. https://www.tubesandmore.com/product...f-electrolytic

And if you mess up your first amp, I know a guy....

Leave a comment:

• Bogen CH8 to 3-knob champ with 6L6 conversion filter capacitor questions

New member saying hello and hoping to tap into the collective wisdom of this group.
    I am a newbie at this, so please forgive any totally lame statements on my part.

I have picked up an older Bogen CH8 PA and I would like to mod it like Terry from D-Lab did in this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMfYSLZj4hc

I have email Terry about his conversion but he has not replied yet.

I am getting ready to order the parts, but I have a question about the filter cap can.
    In the schematics that I can find online, the caps are: 5 µF@400V, 5 µF@400V, 5 µF@400V, 5 µF@400V. However, my cap can is: 20Mfd @450V, 20Mfd @450V, 20Mfd @450V, 20Mfd @450V (see pic)
    And it looks like the Fender AA 764 schematic uses: 20µF @450V, 20 µF @450V, 20 µF @450V
    Question 1: Is Mfd the same as µF? (I think it is, but just want confirmation)
    Question 2: Is the schematic for the Bogen incorrect for my amp in terms of the filter capacitors? Or has the cap on my amp been changed.

Any tips or suggestions?

Relevant information: I plan on replacing the 6SF5 with a 12AX7 and if I can figure it out, rewiring the 6SJ7 for a 6SL7 preamp tube like in the video.
    Power transformer: Thordarson TS-24R01 Secondary 325V-0V-325V
    Output transformer: Merit A2904

Thanks.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tboy; 11-27-2017, 03:40 AM. Reason: fixed link
Working...
X