No announcement yet.

Converting a Bogen CHA33 to guitar amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting a Bogen CHA33 to guitar amp?

I can get my hands on a working CHA33 but I am wondering if it's worth my while as a guitar amp conversion or not?

I also can grab a Precision Electronics PE30 and was wondering if it's a worthwhile guitar amp conversion project?

Neither will cost me much to grab hold of.

Thanks

Pneumonic,
    If I had to choose between the two I'd take the PE first. usually better iron. If you can get both do it and make them different circuits.
    So to answer your question, yes!

Marc

Comment

I've got a couple of CHA33's and like them. You can do extensive mods but on one all I did was convert the inputs to a Fender style. If you do that make sure the jacks are isolated from the chassis or it will hum.

Remove the phono input.
      Add a grounded power cord.

I also got a lot of hum and attached new electrolytics underneath the cap can.

They sound real smooth, not a lot of high end. With an overdrive they rock, but not a lot of power, that 33 watt rating is baloney.
      Stop by my web page!

Comment

Originally posted by Pneumonic View Post
        I can get my hands on a working CHA33 but I am wondering if it's worth my while as a guitar amp conversion or not?

I also can grab a Precision Electronics PE30 and was wondering if it's a worthwhile guitar amp conversion project?

Neither will cost me much to grab hold of.

Thanks

You likely have to add a choke to the B+ for more filtering .. around $40.
        Those PA's have horrible hum characterics that worked ok for grade school annoucement units ... unbearable as a audio amp.

Comment

I know this thread is 2 years old, but I have to say out of all of my amps (fender hot rod deluxe, crate blue voodoo full stack, fender 85, no name tube combos) I like the cha-33 amp I built the best.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...n/IMAG0939.jpg

It is Spartan but I love the warm bassy tone. I am using two vintage 15" speakers with an open back cab. The amp also has old stock tubes all around and all original components.

I am trying to figure out how to put a standby switch on it, but I put 1/4" jacks in and out.

If anyone has a bass/treble knob for it let me know!

Comment

Working...
          X