Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible conversion? Sow's ear to silk purse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible conversion? Sow's ear to silk purse?

About a decade back I picked up an amp head cheap at a music store "garage sale". It has been sitting largely ignored all these years, while I figured out what I wanted to do with it. When the current issue of Vintage Guitar magazine arrived the other day, the feature on the brown tolex 6G11 Fender Vibrolux grabbed my attention. I was wondering if I might be able to rebuild the castoff amp head as a single-channel Vibrolux. The Vibrolux uses a pair of 6L6 tubes, while the castoff head is a dual 6V6 / dual 12AX7 design. The castoff head is one of these: http://web.ncf.ca/ac151/lifco800.pdf The Vibrolux used a plate voltage lower than usual, to elicit 30W out of the normally higher-powered 6L6 pair, and it would seem that this amp provides a plate voltage roughly in the same ballpark. So, feasible? Any contraindications?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	800_head.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	913556

With 6L6s and almost doubled output power you will need different PT and OT. The difference is in the currents. Consider leaving the 2x6V6 outputs.
    Last edited by Helmholtz; 09-16-2020, 08:23 PM.
    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

• vintagekiki
      vintagekiki commented
      Editing a comment
      You will need a different (more powerful) speaker.

Fair enough. Plenty of other older 6V6 Fender designs to choose from.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Hammer View Post
      Plenty of other older 6V6 Fender designs to choose from.
      It's already pretty close to a Princeton Reverb without the reverb.
      -tb

"If you're the only person I irritate with my choice of words today I'll be surprised" Chuck H.

Comment

I have to ask. What's wrong with leaving it as is? Is there something you don't like about the sound?
        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

It´s already 95% Fender and teweaking a couple minor values, maybe new tone pots, are all that's needed.
          Forget switching to higher power, larger tubes, etc. becausen that depends 100% on available iron, you have what you have.
          And I bet even as-is it sound killer.
          With working tubes and proper speaker, of course, which should be "Jensenish"

No sow´s ear by any means, rather quite silky
          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I like the 10uf bypass cap on the first stage.
            No Fender farting.
            I also took note that there is not any negative feedback.
            Nice amp!
            Last edited by Jazz P Bass; 09-18-2020, 05:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
              I have to ask. What's wrong with leaving it as is? Is there something you don't like about the sound?
              Leaving it "as is" will be entirely unsuited to gigging, or even noodling around in the basement, since I pulled pretty much all the passive components, save for the power-supply caps. Just as well. There is some serious rust on parts of the inside/underside of the chassis that I need to be able to get at.

I would, however, like to end up with something that has bias tremolo, if possible.

Comment

Well then, maybe a Princeton Reverb- leave out the reverb and keep the tremolo. You'll have to add a 12AX7 for the tremolo. That will add 300mA to the filament circuit. Hopefully not an issue for the PT.
                "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                  Well then, maybe a Princeton Reverb- leave out the reverb and keep the tremolo. You'll have to add a 12AX7 for the tremolo. That will add 300mA to the filament circuit. Hopefully not an issue for the PT.
                  A plain ol "Princeton" model 6G2 or AA964 uses two preamp tubes. A single triode trem circuit and a cathodyne PI. That should work I think.?.
                  "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                  You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
                  X