X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hello baddog...i have one too.

Originally posted by baddog View Post
    Hi everyone

This amp is a 2 channel amp with seporate output tranys for each channel.

channel 1 has 1 12ax7 faze inverter ? tube ,1 5u4 rectifier tube , 2 6L6 output tubes and a volume control

Channel 2 has 1 12ax7 faze inverter ? tube ,1 5u4 rectifier , 2 7027 output tubes and a volume control

From what i found this amp is a 50 watt amp but it doesnt have a preamp section and i would like to add one(guitar preamp) for each channel or one for both. Any one have any ideas or sugestions. I do have some space to work with and the power transformer is huge so i dont think i will have power issue.

I did hook up a 1/4 jack to the signal input spot and the amp sounds nice and warm but very little volume.

Thanks
    keith
    id like to have pre amp.
    what are you using now ? can i use any pre-amp to go with this huge iron organ amp?

thanks and please reply.

Comment

The best advice i can give you is start small and put a fender deluxe preamp in it. Just a tone control and volume for each channel. The original fender deluxe has 4 inpust but if you didnt want to get that involved you could use half of one 12ax7 (v1) for each channel. Use 2 inputs per channel then you can use a gutar cable to jumper both channels together. I sent my original amp to a guy to have it modified for me but since then i have built 6 amps and havent got the original one back yet. All of my amps that i have converted i gutted and used old boards that i found in organs with new parts except some tone caps if they test good. Not pretty but affective . Each of my amps cost under $50 to make and sound great.

here are pictures of some of my organ amplifier conversions. Their not perfect but they rock

click on the pics to see them all

Fender twin clone Photo Gallery - Photo 1 of 8 by Doctor Klahn - MySpace Photos

fender deluxe 5E5A weber design Photo Gallery - Photo 1 of 9 by Doctor Klahn - MySpace Photos

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...mageID=2382216

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...ageID=14016667

Comment

I would just start over, pull the iron and whatever else is good off the chassis and build 2 new amps from scratch. You can get another chassis or two pretty cheap and it isn't a lot of work to populate, wire, and mount a turrent or eyelet board. That way you will have 2 real guitar amps and not some ugly compromise. It seems that you have a real clumbsy conversion but a lot of build potential to me. If a bassman is what you want just build one.

Comment

I think he only has one power transfomer so he ould need to buy another trasformer to make two amps. He could make to amps in one and totaly rewire the whole amp. Im guessing it would weight about 30 ish pounds. I would gut an amp and rebuild as olddawg sudgested but a bassman might be a little hard if this is your first build.

My amp is on its way back home as we speak so ill try the amp out and let you know how it sounds. If its cool i could take gutt pics and send them to you.
          Let me know

Comment

wow ! what a bunch of funs to work with !

The best advice i can give you is start small and put a fender deluxe preamp in it. Just a tone control and volume for each channel. The original fender deluxe has 4 inpust but if you didnt want to get that involved you could use half of one 12ax7 (v1) for each channel. Use 2 inputs per channel then you can use a gutar cable to jumper both channels together. I sent my original amp to a guy to have it modified for me but since then i have built 6 amps and havent got the original one back yet. All of my amps that i have converted i gutted and used old boards that i found in organs with new parts except some tone caps if they test good. Not pretty but affective . Each of my amps cost under $50 to make and sound great.

here are pictures of some of my organ amplifier conversions. Their not perfect but they rock

click on the pics to see them all

Fender twin clone Photo Gallery - Photo 1 of 8 by Doctor Klahn - MySpace Photos

fender deluxe 5E5A weber design Photo Gallery - Photo 1 of 9 by Doctor Klahn - MySpace Photos

Bogin VP17 to Fender Deluxe Mod Photo Gallery - Photo 1 of 7 by Doctor Klahn - MySpace Photos

Latest score Photo Gallery - Photo 1 of 6 by Doctor Klahn - MySpace Photos
            thanks....for sharing..

Comment

that is a good idea. but at least i need another PT.

Originally posted by olddawg View Post
              I would just start over, pull the iron and whatever else is good off the chassis and build 2 new amps from scratch. You can get another chassis or two pretty cheap and it isn't a lot of work to populate, wire, and mount a turrent or eyelet board. That way you will have 2 real guitar amps and not some ugly compromise. It seems that you have a real clumbsy conversion but a lot of build potential to me. If a bassman is what you want just build one.
              and which OT has bigger wattage? the black upper iron or the naked iron inside its belly?

thanks for your suggestion.

Comment

thanks much. im totally new in this tube world. my ears like analog crisp tube sounds

I think he only has one power transfomer so he ould need to buy another trasformer to make two amps. He could make to amps in one and totaly rewire the whole amp. Im guessing it would weight about 30 ish pounds. I would gut an amp and rebuild as olddawg sudgested but a bassman might be a little hard if this is your first build.

My amp is on its way back home as we speak so ill try the amp out and let you know how it sounds. If its cool i could take gutt pics and send them to you.
                Let me know
                did you say.. each OT has 30watt output?
                like louder amps ! i recently own 5 watt Harmony tube amp

Comment

Hi -

I have this same Badwin amp. Does anyone have info of specs of the iron? Or a guess at the manufacturer?

Power: C512-029863
                  Output: C512-028812A

Comment

Missing the boat here on these baldwin 2-chan tube amps!

I don't understand why so many want to build a preamp (usually Fender) into one of these Baldie amps! It Just doesn't make a bit of sense! These things are Power Amps! and damn fine ones at that, so why not treat it as such!

A 2-channel with one side converted to 5881's and the other to EL34's has then one channel for the sweetest cleans on the planet and one channel for dirty tones from hell, using the existing output transformers and an external preamp to push it! (Rocktron Piranha, Marshall, you name it) and tweaked its circuits up a bit (see London power) should make all other (poweramps) sound like tinker toys by comparison!

These things luv to run clean, HELLO, can anyone say Hiwatt! Ya know, one of the most sought after and best sounding amps in existence save for a very few!

If ya treat the Baldie like what it is.. a power amp from hell,be it a 2-channel PP or a single channel PPP it could do whatever ya want it to and then some, and if you get bored with the tone, simply use a different preamp to front it with. (see AMT pedals, B2, M2, S2, etc)

Why butcher it up when all it needs is a few tweaks and add-ons as it sits to make it perfect?

Comment

Originally posted by Kenny H View Post
                      I don't understand why so many want to build a preamp (usually Fender) into one of these Baldie amps! It Just doesn't make a bit of sense! These things are Power Amps! and damn fine ones at that, so why not treat it as such!

A 2-channel with one side converted to 5881's and the other to EL34's has then one channel for the sweetest cleans on the planet and one channel for dirty tones from hell, using the existing output transformers and an external preamp to push it! (Rocktron Piranha, Marshall, you name it) and tweaked its circuits up a bit (see London power) should make all other (poweramps) sound like tinker toys by comparison!

These things luv to run clean, HELLO, can anyone say Hiwatt! Ya know, one of the most sought after and best sounding amps in existence save for a very few!

If ya treat the Baldie like what it is.. a power amp from hell,be it a 2-channel PP or a single channel PPP it could do whatever ya want it to and then some, and if you get bored with the tone, simply use a different preamp to front it with. (see AMT pedals, B2, M2, S2, etc)

Why butcher it up when all it needs is a few tweaks and add-ons as it sits to make it perfect?

Wow! You found an old topic. It's been so long that I forgot about this amplifier. It's been long gone for years. I've built a few amps since then both Marshall and fender. I've also converted my Bassman 50 to a Robben Ford Dumble clone. No jazz or boost switch in my amp.

Comment

Working...
                      X