No announcement yet.

JCM900 Rebuild into JCM800

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do'h! I realized from my last post that plan was just putting us back to square one, with Bias voltage present on the tubes in standby mode, but with 200ish Volts on the HT while in standby., since the HT was being half-wave rectified in standby....

What if we used both halves of the DPDT, one to disconnect the half of the secondary winding, and the other to interrupt the HT after the rectifier? The downside is this leaves HT on the reservoir caps in standby... Is this potentially damaging or dangerous? I can't think of a reason why, but I always assumed standby kept ALL HT out of the amp, including the caps.

I wired it up on a limiter and I get great bias voltage on standby, and great HT voltage on the tubes / OT off standby...
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0672.jpg Views:	0 Size:	44.0 KB ID:	994578

Comment

LOTS of amps leave the filter caps charged in standby. Look at a Fender Twin, for example. It's not an issue if your caps are rated high enough voltage. B+ will be slightly higher with no load.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_bibbles View Post
        Do'h! I realized from my last post that plan was just putting us back to square one, with Bias voltage present on the tubes in standby mode, but with 200ish Volts on the HT while in standby., since the HT was being half-wave rectified in standby....
        Was that with power tubes in?
        Wondering if that also happens with a JCM 900.
        Does the amp produce sound in standby?

- Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
          LOTS of amps leave the filter caps charged in standby. Look at a Fender Twin, for example. It's not an issue if your caps are rated high enough voltage. B+ will be slightly higher with no load.
          Awesome thanks! I Turns out sticking with the two 500V caps in series for the reservoirs came in handy then, should be able to handle it no problemo. As a last precaution I will install a parallel 47K resistor across the AC interrupter as shown at the bottom of the page here.

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post

Was that with power tubes in?
            Wondering if that also happens with a JCM 900.
            Does the amp produce sound in standby?
            No valves installed yet until I make sure the voltages are nice and safe, so not sure if would make a sound. I'm guessing the 200V on on the tubes is not the case with the 900 as it has no balancing resistors across the filters? Honestly not sure, but that's the only difference I can see from the schematic?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_bibbles View Post

No valves installed yet until I make sure the voltages are nice and safe, so not sure if would make a sound. I'm guessing the 200V on on the tubes is not the case with the 900 as it has no balancing resistors across the filters?
              Now that makes a huge difference.
              As you said 200V on the tubes, I assumed the tubes were in.
              I couldn't see how there could be a B+ of 200V with a real load (i.e. tubes).
              I assume that voltage will collapse with tubes in, so everything would be fine.

- Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Working...
              X