champ build problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• champ build problem

1 built a 5f1 champ i used salveged sockets im getting very low voltage a first filter b+. ptrany is getting hot its 300 300 @ 50 ma it should be plenty for the 3 tubes im wondering if the socket to rect is bad the 5y3 getting overly hot as well?

Have you tried a different rectifier tube? Are any of the rectifier pins behaving correctly? If it's got a bad pin you could, for instance, a half-rectifier kind of output, which would give you a lower voltage.

What voltage are you measuring at the 1st filter cap by the way?
    Check out my signal generator for your iPhone or iPod Touch.

Comment

i tried other 5y3s and changed to a different socket but all my sockets are salveged im only getting 35 v at b+. iv got some new sockets coming but not till end of week, i tried to do this amp with parts i took off other amp as much as i could but they were all very old amps ive got alot of part as ive been collecting them for last 6 mounths since i got into building check out these things i found the other day the utahs are mint i paid 10$ the chassis is full o astron capacitors i also got some awsome elecro voice house speakers i spent like 45$
      Attached Files

Comment

Depending on where you have it biased,the power tube itself could be drawing 50ma's at idle.That PT is marginal at best for that amp.I doubt the sockets are causing the problem.I would start by pulling all the tubes except the rectifier and measure the voltage at the output of the 5Y3,if the voltage is okay replace the power tube and see if the volts drop.If the voltage is still low with only the rectifier,disconnect the filter caps and check again.If it is low with the filter cap disconnected,pull the rectifier and see what kind of AC volts you get.The fact that the PT is getting hot,says there is too much current going thru it.

Comment

Working...
        X