Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• princeton reverb high frequency squeal

hello.

build a princeton reverb clone, and it worked, sounded good, but only for 3 hours...

now everything i get is a high frequency squeal, when i switch it on...

i thought, it might be the tubes, but i used different ones, same thing again. so what can this be?

greetings from vienna

it's gone...

after some seconds the squeal was gone, and i hit some caps with the plastic side of a screw-driver, to see, if there is a bad solder-joint. nothing. sounds like it should again. the voltages read like they should too...

then i turned the amp off, waited a few minutes and turned it on again. no squealing...

what was that? any ideas? hope it don't appear again...

Comment

maybe try swapping the leads on pin three of the 6V6s?
      Last edited by TD_Madden; 10-01-2007, 12:54 PM. Reason: fixed spelling

Comment

many thanks

hello.

i will do this, if this noise ever comes again. for now it works without any problems. (I've played it about 3 hours today, no squealing...) and it sounds just great.

i've changed some tubes around. i also plan to get a mercury magnetics output transformer (are they really that good?), and a celestion alnico gold speaker (any experience with those?)... we'll see..

greetings from vienna

Comment

Check the reverb solder and cable conections had the same thing on my PR build.

Comment

thanks again

i've checked all that. what i think is, it was the input-jack, that didn't ground, as this noise was there, when nothing was plugged in, but i could not reproduce it, anyway... (see geofex... oh well..)

played the amp for 4 hours since this happened. nothing... no squeal... we'll see.

if it is something else, i'll let you know...

greetings from vienna...

Comment

celestion alnico gold vs. jensen c12q

hello everybody.

i got my celestion alnico gold 50w speaker now.

it's nice, when played at high volume. the clean range is not that good.

but for the princeton-clone the jensen C12Q sounds better to me, clean and on fullume. (oh well, the jensen is just 1/8 the price of the celestion!!!).

i also printed the data sheets of the 2 speakers.

who needs to know the voice coil inductance at 1kHz? if you don't know that, its 0.62 mH. ah! yes...

anyway, the amp is sounding great now...

greetings from vienna

Comment

Working...
              X