No announcement yet.

5C5 build hum and fried dropping resistor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you have the power tubes in when you took those measurements?They arent too high for a 6L6GC of any brand,but if you are using a 6L6G or GB,which is closer to the original 6L6's the amp was designed for,then you are kind of high.If the volts are with no tubes in the amp,they will come down with tubes.If you measured the plate volts to ground,you can subtract the 27v's on the cathode to get what voltage the plate actually sees.

Comment

Yes, the tubes were in it when I took those measurements. I ordered some JJ 6L6GC's today so hopefully those will be able to handle it. Is there a good way of dropping those voltages a little bit and get them a little closer to where they should be and will that give it more or less headroom? I fixed the hum today, it was a simple grounding issue. Now this thing really sounds good even with the mismatched tubes. Thanks again for all the help you guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason C View Post
        Is there a good way of dropping those voltages a little bit and get them a little closer to where they should be and will that give it more or less headroom? .
        See this page for tips on dropping the B+/plate supply voltages

http://www.aikenamps.com/BackBiasing.html

Putting a lower-gain PI tube in will give you more headroom in the output stage (because you'll reduce the clipping of the signal being fed into the output tube grid(s)).
        Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Working...
        X