Power stage hum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power stage hum

Hi All. I'm back here after a 13-year absence looking to fix a hum issue that has plagued my amp build since I stopped working on it back in 2008. At that time I only really noticed excessive hum after closing everything up, taking the amp out from under the 14 fluorescent tubes just above my workbench and hooking it up to a speaker with 100+db sensitivity (8 ohm Eminence Red Fang 12") in a quiet environment. But then the hum was very present and annoying.

I've finally found the time to dive back into my amp and have done some initial testing to get a feel for things as they now stand. My plan is to do whatever is necessary to get this amp quiet enough to be enjoyable.

The amp's configuration is Fender brownface and blackface preamp/effect circuits with a output stage of one SE 6V6 or two 6V6s in parallel (non push-pull), cathode biased. I'll skip most of the amp's details for now since the hum is apparently coming from some interaction between the power supply and the output stage.

Here is how the big components are positioned relative to each other. Preamp tubes at front left, 3 tremolo tubes in the middle, and reverb (tubes and transformer) at the right. Choke in the middle. Rectifier and 6v6's at the rear.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Chassis layout - 1.PNG
Views:	194
Size:	515.7 KB
ID:	937663

If I pull all tubes except the rectifier tube and the power tube(s), the hum is present and quite audible. Here is how it looks on my scope when reading across an 8 ohm output load resistor :

One 6V6 :

Name:	One 6V6 SE-2.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	937662

The overall cycle of what repeats is 120 hz (4 x 2ms/div) (vertical 5mv/div). If I play around with my heater balance pot, any additional ripple just affects (slightly) the regularity of this 120 hz repeat. It looks like the power supply wants to be pretty smooth (the flatter parts of the trace) but is interrupted by a 120 hz pulse in only one polarity. But I may be reading too much into that since I can get the waveform to change just by tapping lightly on my amp. The trace usually locks to the shape shown, but things aren't completely stable. I've heard of microphonic tubes, but it looks like my whole amp is microphonic to the slightest tap of a chopstick, especially on a tube but really anywhere except the power transformer. All this at finest resolution of my scope which is an old used Kikusui which has seen a lot of use.

The hum is quite a bit louder with two power tubes compared to one. And with the rest of the amp operational, everything signal-wise rides on top of this hum.

Two 6V6s :

Name:	Two 6V6 in parallel SE-2.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	937664

When designing and building my amp I followed pretty much to the letter the "star ground" scheme described by Randall Aiken (Aiken amplification) in his article Grounding (https://www.aikenamps.com/index.php/grounding). Isolated jacks and all. Really more of a 'tree' scheme than a star. I also took note of Dai H.'s grounding info found in the thread http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=220. I just recently read Merlin Blencowe's "Grounding and Ground Schemes" (http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/Grounding.pdf) which seems to be the opposite of Aiken in that all grounds flow to the input jack end instead of the power supply end of things.

I'll be reconsidering the choices I made with respect to wiring and component layout, especially the grounding scheme, but was wondering if anything comes to mind from the shape of the hum waveform as seen on my scope. Especially that it only involves the power supply and output stage. I've found one very similar scope trace on the net but the accompanying discussion didn't clarify the situation producing such a trace. I've seen the big electromagnetic parts much closer together than mine on other amps. However, my first filter stage (2 x 20uf) is right under the power transformer and the little mixer board feeding the power amps is more or less under the choke. Chassis is pretty heavy gauge steel.

Attached Files

Do you have a schematic of the output stage and power supply?
    It's 120Hz. It could be the normal SE hum from the B+ supply as it only has 20u capacitors.

Comment

But I may be reading too much into that since I can get the waveform to change just by tapping lightly on my amp. The trace usually locks to the shape shown, but things aren't completely stable. I've heard of microphonic tubes, but it looks like my whole amp is microphonic to the slightest tap of a chopstick,
      I'm with Dave H above, SE definitely requires better filtering than PP output.

But sensitivity to tapping also indicates some poor contact or (ground) connection.

Please post schematic and pictures of the chassis interior.
      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Power supply first stage (voltages with amp on standby) :

Click image for larger version  Name:	POWER SUPPLY - FIRST STAGE - 1.PNG Views:	0 Size:	55.7 KB ID:	937754

Rest of the power supply.

Click image for larger version  Name:	POWER SUPPLY - NEXT STAGES - 1.PNG Views:	0 Size:	68.6 KB ID:	937755
        Resistor values and voltages may have changed since this was drawn, but this part of the power supply will be revisited once I clear up the first stage hum.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Power supply - 1.png Views:	0 Size:	362.9 KB ID:	937756

Choke is under center mixer board.

Click image for larger version  Name:	OUTPUT STAGE - 1.PNG Views:	0 Size:	37.6 KB ID:	937758

In two tube output, the plates from the 6v6's are just wired together and the OT switched from 8 ohm to 16 ohm.
        I do have a center-tapped OT in case I went to AB push-pull if that might be better for parallel SE.

Click image for larger version  Name:	built10_001.jpg Views:	0 Size:	117.7 KB ID:	937757

Bias supply (being ignored for the moment) and output tube wiring during build.
        Heater hum pot front left.

Last edited by Paul P; 07-29-2021, 05:04 PM.

Comment

In a single ended amp, taking the B+ for the OT off of the reservoir cap is asking for hum. Unlike push-pull amps, there is no hum cancellation in the output stage. SO to rid us of hum, we generally put a second stage of B+ filter before the OT node.

Fender even sent out a service bulletin about their CHamp amps, telling us service stations not to try and fix the "hum problem" under warranty. It was normal for the amps to hum.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

What about placing a second choke between the two 20uF/600V 1st stage filter caps? Beautiful construction & layout work!!
            Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Thanks nevetslab.

It seems like a Pi filter may be the way to go. I'm wondering if it could just be a matter of moving the connections around my existing components.
              How about :

Name:	POWER SUPPLY - PI FILTER - 1.PNG
Views:	193
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	937777

Comment

I was going to suggest using the existing choke in a pi filter but didn't know if it could handle the extra plate current of two 6V6s. What current is it rated at?

Comment

I too was wondering what the current rating of it was. The move placing it as you drew it out seems like it would work, assuming it can handle the full load of the two tubes. If so, other than some tidy re-wiring, you keep the beautiful layout intact. Worth a try.

Comment

Allen Amplification - TRCH

"Replacement Choke for Twin™, Super™, Pro™, Bassman™, Bandmaster™, Vibroverb™, Showman™, Vibrosonic™, and early Tremolux™ amps.
                    Replaces the 125C1A style choke with 2-13/16" mounting centers, 2" tall. 3H, 100 ohms, 1lb.

It's no longer sold by Allen , and I can't find current rating for it anywhere on the net.
                    I've seen ratings for Bassman around 90ma (like Hammond 194B).
                    It looks like Fender amps were 4H, though.

Any suggestions for the resistor between plates and screens ?
                    I was thinking 1.5K ohms, 3W just for starters (which I have on hand).

Comment

Do you know what the plate current of the output stage, both single and pair of 6V6's running at max load? I'm assuming the current numbers in Red on the power xfmr HT secondary is the rating of that power xfmr. I looked at the spec sheet of the 6V6-GTA from GE to get at some typical values. Class A SE with 315V Plate, max signal plate current shows 35mA @ 5.5W, so no doubt twice that for the pair of tubes.

I've attached the data sheet for more details

6V6GTA-GE.pdf

On the last graph published, Operation Characteristics, it shows curves for plate current, power output, distortion and screen current as a function of max-signal plate or screen current, where the plate current is between 50mA at lowest output and output power peaks around 47mA, a bit shy of 5W output (single tube).

Comment

Just measure actual supply current across the open standby switch (careful: high voltage!) in "high power" mode.
                        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

I should add that, while current consumption of class A stages doesn't change with signal up to full clean output, it will increase when the output is driven into clipping.
                          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Well, I'm amazed. Pi filter has transformed everything.

Here is the scope trace across dummy load at 5mv/div vertical (same conditions as traces shown above) with two 6V6's in parallel :

Click image for larger version  Name:	PI Filter - two 6v6 in parallel.jpg Views:	0 Size:	99.5 KB ID:	937963

When I saw that I couldn't wait to see what it sounded like. It almost doesn't.
                            With everything off in the house I have to place my ear right up against the speaker grill to hear a very faint 120 hum/buzz.

A big thanks to all of you for helping me fix something that has bugged me for so long.

I'm now going to move on to the rest of the amp (I now have no idea how it really sounds with guitar plugged in).
                            I didn't bias the tubes properly either, just made sure things were in bounds.

Here are the measurements as they now stand for the power supply and output stage. All other tubes still pulled.
                            Voltages have lowered to more reasonable values than before.

Click image for larger version  Name:	POWER SUPPLY - PI FILTER - 5.PNG Views:	0 Size:	36.4 KB ID:	937965
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X