Speaker Wattage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker Wattage

Hi again. Just about finished my first cab. Pleased with result. Cant do any more until kit arrives in a few weeks. Kit is 5 watts. What wattage speaker would be best. As you can tell I am a novice when it comes to valve amps so sorry for all the questions but I am learning a lot from all your replies. Thanks.

Your main concern should not be wattage, but voicing. Different speakers produce different sounds. Two basic categories are British & American, their are several versions of both (Celestion, Jensen, JBL, Weber, Eminence, Ware House, etc); and then there is magnet type: alnico, ceramic and now neodymium, each one effects the sound (& weight) in slightly different ways.

What you probably need to do is tell us what kind of amp your building and the size of speaker, and how much room you have in the cabinet, and then people can offer up their personal (subjective) preferences for that style of amp and size of speaker. After that wattage is a simple matter, if there are options in wattage available for the type of speaker you can just go with the lowest power rating.

Comment

to confuse you even more

guitar amps and the like don't use HiFi speakers. They use musical instrument speakers.

if you hook a MI speaker up to your stereo i'tll sound like mud! but boy oh boy hooked up to a tube amp and they sound amazing!

you see an amps speaker is the final ingrediant into the "TONE" equation.
      first is the instrument itself and the cable.
      second is the amp
      third the speaker.
      all of these have HUGE influences as to what the over all sound will be and changing any one of those ingrediants can give you drastic changes.

HiFi speakers on the other hand are designed NOT to flavor the tone of music. they re-create the music that has been made.

get it?

so like HASSREL suggested.. what flavor are you looking for?

Comment

Many Thanks for replies. Tone? Probably after the `Ultimate Strat Sound` whatever that is!! Seriously though something akin to Messrs Knopfler, Marvin, Gilmour. Love playing clean Am Std Strat, your advice is much appreciated, but as you say the speaker is only one part of the equation. As this is my first valve amp build I dont want to spoil it by buying unsuitable speakers etc. The owner of the amp kit place suggested a Celestion G12, which are not too bad on price, so may take his advice. Thanks again.

Comment

LOL well what's the kit?

Share your journey we want to hear about it and cheer you on!

Comment

Kit is from Ampmaker in the UK (www.ampmaker.com) £140 with some very good online instructions. He only does a 5 watt and an 18 watt at the moment, so as its my first valve build I`ve gone for the 5 watt (Its only for home and occaisional jam with friends) Gets some good reviews on Harmony. As I said he suggests a G12H speaker so may go with that. Must admit that cab making is addictive. Managed to beg 3/4" plywood from a customer, so hasnt really cost me anything yet apart from my time. Will keep you posted on progress later as cant order kit until April as he is so busy. Cheers

Comment

Seeing as the kit is described as having a British tone I think the Celestion suggestion is probably a very good one, especially since the suggestion comes from the kit builder.

Nice looking website/kit BTW. Good luck with it and have fun!

Comment

HAHAHA!
                some one caught the bug
                anyone who claims any kind of work is addictive or could be has already been bitten.

it looks to have Marshall topograghy and will likely have that classic "British" sound so a Celestion or Celestion copy would harmonize nicely

simple tube or valve amps like yours lend themselves to endless modifications to change thier sounds, quite a bit like changing pickups , strings and volume and tone controls in a guitar.

You're going to be amazed the first few times you play your amp if especially if you never played a tube amp before, what i find humorous is when my son's metal head buddies suddenly want to play on his little 15 watt amp and make comments about how the amp sounds better than thier such and such effect pedal

it will only get better and smoother too the more you use it, the speaker will break in and the tubes will take a set. a month of playing and you'll hear richness warmth and depth that you've never heard before.

keep us posted on your progress and post pics if you can.

we'd all love to see your cab too, lots of fine craftsmen here can help you hone your skills.

Comment

Thanks for replies and encouragement. Im presuming that at 5 watts I can crank it if I want to without blowing the patio doors off!! Will post pic of cab as soon as possible. Afraid its not fingerjoints as I dont have the tooling, so its butt joints screwed glued and dowelled and its bang on 90 degrees at every corner! Not bad for a first attempt.

Comment

Pics attached ( hope!). Done a lot of sanding/finishing since these were taken

Click image for larger version

Name:	Amp Cab 001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	270.9 KB
ID:	813476
                    Attached Files

Comment

Looking at your "Fender'ish" cab, and that you want an "Ultimate" Strat tone, I would suggest finding a late '50's early 60's Jensen P12R. An old alnico with a very "tight" cone and very "light" voice coil have such amazing dynamics the guitar just links up with the speaker and they become one sonically.

Oh, one other thing, old radio speakers can work very well driven with a low wattage amp. I used to find them at flea markets, and was surprised at thier tone.
                      Last edited by guitician; 03-06-2009, 05:19 PM.
                      Now Trending: China has found a way to turn stupidity into money!

Comment

Thanks for that Guitician. Think the kit will take 8 ohm or 16 ohm. Whats the
                        one to get??

Comment

Originally posted by guitician View Post
                          Looking at your "Fender'ish" cab, and that you want an "Ultimate" Strat tone, I would suggest finding a late '50's early 60's Jensen P12R. An old alnico with a very "tight" cone and very "light" voice coil have such amazing dynamics the guitar just links up with the speaker and they become one sonically.

Oh, one other thing, old radio speakers can work very well driven with a low wattage amp. I used to find them at flea markets, and was surprised at thier tone.
                          In the old days there wasn't as much a distintion between Hi Fi , PA and MI speakers. The guitar amp companies just used what was available and least expensive. I got a pair of 12" CTS square magnet speakers out of an old console stereo a while back that were identical to what I have seen in major brand guitar amps of the same era. It was going to the dump. eBay has quashed a lot of cheap stuff that used to be everywhere but you can still find jems at garage sales and thrift stores if you have the time especially in large equipment. Modern stereo speakers have foam surrounds and are totally inadequate for MI applications, but most paper surround speakers out of old stereos, etc will work fine as long as you are sane about pushing them.

Comment

Originally posted by a1terrier View Post
                            Thanks for that Guitician. Think the kit will take 8 ohm or 16 ohm. Whats the
                            one to get??
                            8 or 16 ohms it doesn't matter. Just match the output transformer to the speakers ohms. If you dont know the speakers ohms, meter the DC resistance and it will usually be close to 4, 8 or 16 ohms on the low end. Like a 4 ohm speaker coil will measure 2 to 3 ohms, or 8 will measure 6 to 7 ohms, etc.
                            Now Trending: China has found a way to turn stupidity into money!

Comment

'Im presuming that at 5 watts I can crank it if I want to without blowing the patio doors off!'
                              Not a safe assumption. 5 watts clean will be nearly 10 watts when cranked, into a 100dB/W speaker = ~110dB, which will have the ornaments dancing off the shelves at least.
                              100dB/W means that 1 watt will create 100dB soundpressure level at 1 metre, therefore
                              2 watts will be 103dB, 4 watts 106dB, 8 watts 109dB. Add 3dB every time power in is doubled.
                              If you want to be loud (ie keep up with a drummer) you need an efficient speaker (100dB/W ie G12H30), whereas if you want a cranked tone at more domestic friendly levels (jamming with a buddy), you need a lower efficiency speaker, say a Jensen P12R at 94 dB/W. Peter.
                              Last edited by pdf64; 03-07-2009, 01:26 PM.
                              My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Working...
                              X