Stereo 5E3 in one box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stereo 5E3 in one box?

Hi folks, I was wondering if there is such thing as a stereo tube amp?
    I play guitar through an ADA MP-1 = a programmable preamp for saving various tone combos, that has stereo output. I thought it would be great if I could build a tube amp that has stereo ins and outs to two speakers. I guess I could build two 5E3s but is there a kit for 2 in 1 box that has about the wattage of a 5E3?

Thanks

Plenty of stereo tube amps, they were available in console hifi units from many mfgr's for many years. I don't know about aby stereo amp kits, I think Antique Electronics Supply may have something, but you can find old tube stereo amps out there wherever you find old furniture and other things that get thrown away and/or given away to thrift stores. Then you can rewire the circuits to whatever you want and build/buy a cabinet to stuff it into.

Comment

Thanks hasselr, I'll keep a lookout for hifi tube gear.
      There are low wattage stereo kits on tubedepot but not sure if they are appropriate for guitar.
      I'm confident I could build a nice tweed cab for this project but my electronic design skills are not as great. It's one thing to build from a kit but if I wanted to change things around to make it stereo, I'd need some help.
      I'm thinking I could use the same transformers and rectifier to power two sets of power tubes. The pre-amp stages are not so necessary since my MP-1 covers that.
      Does this sound right? or am I way off base.

Comment

they are difference

HI-FI tube amp are difference with guitar amp.Hi-fi want no distortion. but guitar need distortion. So guitar amp different hi-fi from OPT, circuit.
        Do you only want claen?

Comment

Originally posted by kldguitar View Post
          HI-FI tube amp are difference with guitar amp.Hi-fi want no distortion. but guitar need distortion. So guitar amp different hi-fi from OPT, circuit.
          Do you only want claen?
          Of course, but there's no law that says you have to keep the stock circuit. The beauty of using one of these amps is that you have a chassis and transformers, just rewire the circuit for guitar application.

I really didn't think I needed to spell that out, I thought it would be self explanatory.

Comment

Call me a spoilsport, but I'd build two amps. That way, you have the freedom of separating them physically from each other to make better use of the stereo effect.

- Scott

Comment

Good point Therm. As far as adapting a kit for two power sections, you would probably need to use a PT with a higher current rating, since you would be having to supply twice as many output tubes. But I am no expert.

Comment

Working...
              X