No announcement yet.

Mercury Valve JR Upgrade Kit, Worth IT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mercury Valve JR Upgrade Kit, Worth IT?

I have been looking at these. I already have a Valve Jr. head V-3. Want to mod it, but there are sooo many different people with kits, and the Mercury seems the best, but kinda pricey. Suggestions. This is my first build, but I do have an electronics background, and some knowledge.

Valve Jr Mods

First off, what is wrong with the amp?
    If you want to "mod" the amp, assuming it works but you just do not like the amp, what do you want to change?
    There is a "cost versus benefit" thing here.
    My personal opinion of the "upgrade kit" is : Rubbish!
    200 bucks for transformers that will "unleash the tonal potential" of a two tube amp?
    Rubbish.
    (I have some land in Florida for sale, real cheap)

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
      First off, what is wrong with the amp?
      If you want to "mod" the amp, assuming it works but you just do not like the amp, what do you want to change?
      There is a "cost versus benefit" thing here.
      My personal opinion of the "upgrade kit" is : Rubbish!
      200 bucks for transformers that will "unleash the tonal potential" of a two tube amp?
      Rubbish.
      (I have some land in Florida for sale, real cheap)
      Actually it is more to learn than anything. I work on electronics all the time with my job. Not tubes, and soldering much. I can read schematics, and have been reading a lot to understand all the principles. I thought they seemed pretty high as well. I went with a 50.00 heyboer output tformer instead, and will add a tone knob, and a few mods on suggestions. About 80.00 worth of parts on an 80.00 amp. Good for a project. Thanks

Comment

I considered a Mercury kit too, but decided against it. Truth be told, a better OT (though the V3 OT is supposed to be much better than V1-2) and better quality parts will make a pretty big difference. The amp is kinda like a champ in its simplicity. Less is more. Personally, i am not a huge fan of them. Too woffy for my clean tastes, not enough gain for my rock urges...Mins is probably going to sit for a long time until i get the urge to build something else in the cabinet.

Comment

Valve Jr tone control

I do not know what tone circuit you have in mind.
          Most all of them eat signal voltage.
          That translates to "you just changed the amp"
          A decent 12" speaker is The upgrade I would consider first.

Comment

Stock it is an interesting little amp, just kind of "Vanilla" sounding.

But Jazz P is right, any signifigant alteration, and you are dealing with a new amp... not the same thing. I think i'll make mine into a Spitfire or something eventually. new iron, wire up a custom turret board

But then itis COMPLETELY new.

Comment

Working...
            X