• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greg_L
    replied
    Originally posted by minim View Post
    It turned out really well.

I'm definitely inspired. I've owned two Deluxe Reverbs neither of which I should have sold. Once I sell a couple of things I'm going to find me a keeper.
    Build one!

I built mine as my first project. I'd messed with mods and repairs on lots of Marshalls, but never built an amp from scratch. I figured, what the hell? Might as well go all-in. It was tough but very rewarding, and it turned out great. It gets used and abused a lot. I built it as a head because I'm not into combos...and I got a bunch of 4x12 cabs already.

Leave a comment:

• minim
    replied
    Originally posted by Greg_L View Post
    Ha yeah, it doesn't hurt having the perfect surf guitar for surf guitar tones.

I probably got the mix up somewhere around 6-7 for the wildest parts. I really just fiddled around. I'm loving the drippy drip surf reverb sound. I didn't detect any weirdness or oscillation noise, and the slight hum is more due to the guitar - these pickups are crazy hot single coils and a little microphonic - so I'm pretty stoked with the whole thing.
    It turned out really well.

I'm definitely inspired. I've owned two Deluxe Reverbs neither of which I should have sold. Once I sell a couple of things I'm going to find me a keeper.

Leave a comment:

• Greg_L
    replied
    Sounds friggin good man, some authentic splishy-splashy going on there. I guess it helps having the real-deal guitar

You must have had the mix cranked right up around the 1.5 - 2 minute mark?
    Ha yeah, it doesn't hurt having the perfect surf guitar for surf guitar tones.

I probably got the mix up somewhere around 6-7 for the wildest parts. I really just fiddled around. I'm loving the drippy drip surf reverb sound. I didn't detect any weirdness or oscillation noise, and the slight hum is more due to the guitar - these pickups are crazy hot single coils and a little microphonic - so I'm pretty stoked with the whole thing.

Leave a comment:

• minim
    replied
    Sounds friggin good man, some authentic splishy-splashy going on there. I guess it helps having the real-deal guitar

You must have had the mix cranked right up around the 1.5 - 2 minute mark?

Leave a comment:

• Greg_L
    replied
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ko...1uRWP21BTKZEi0

Here's a quick directionless sound test of the reverb unit, just going through various control settings.

Guitar - 1965 Mosrite Ventures MkI
    Reverb - Weber 5G15 kit build
    Amp - Deluxe Reverb AB763 kit build - Normal Channel
    Cab - Marshall 4x12 - Celestion Vintage 30s
    Mic - AT4047, slightly off center, about 6" off grill.
    No EQ or FX in DAW

Leave a comment:

• Greg_L
    replied
    Originally posted by The Dude View Post
    Nice neat and tidy build and great pics!
    Thanks a lot! I'm learning as I go. It helps a lot to keep things neat and organized. Looking nice is a side bonus.

I did my own color-coding, and it helped tremendously with tube socket and potentiometer hookups.
    Red wires - high voltage and plate wires.
    Blue wires - grids
    Yellow wires - cathodes
    Black wires - grounds.
    White wires - potentiometer lugs.

So far, it's passed the powering up tests, voltage tests, and first tone test wonderfully!

Leave a comment:

• The Dude
    replied
    Nice neat and tidy build and great pics!

Leave a comment:

• Greg_L
    replied
    Well I'll definitely listen. You don't have to play like Eric Johnson or anything.

I love the sound of the Fender reverb. I have this kit on my 'definitely will build at some point before I die' list.
    Cool man. I'll do some sound clips tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• minim
    replied
    Well I'll definitely listen. You don't have to play like Eric Johnson or anything.

I love the sound of the Fender reverb. I have this kit on my 'definitely will build at some point before I die' list.

Leave a comment:

• Greg_L
    replied
    Looks good. Are you actually going to play some licks for us?
    Sure, if you want. Last time I posted audio clips I think maybe one person listened to it.

I'll get something recorded tomorrow.

In the meantime, it's done!

Very drippy and slappy and lush thick spring reverb. Very organic. I love it. Tonally I'm seeing no reason to tweak anything so far. First impressions are good. We'll see how the durability goes. It's still early.

Leave a comment:

• minim
    replied
    Looks good. Are you actually going to play some licks for us?

Leave a comment:

• Greg_L
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Greg_L
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Greg_L
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Greg_L
    replied