More Weber weirdness + general OT Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Weber weirdness + general OT Questions

OR Sometimes what you think will take 10 minutes to do...

Got my board populated & installed, all board to sockets wiring done, had an extra half hour last night, so I'll wire up the output transformer. Stock Weber 5E3 iron.

Layout diagram shows blue wire to V3, schematic shows blue wire to V4. All other layouts & schematics show blue to V4. I'm familiar with "If loud humm occurs...", but does that happen with no negative feedback loop? Is there a way to tell if the layout or the transformer is incorrect?

I expect to replace this OT once I get the thing going, for something better suited to running both 6V6 & 6L6 tubes. I've noticed Mercury and some others have dual primary transformers. Is that better than using multitap secondaries to match the impedence?

Finally, do multitap secondaries compromise performance? For example is a multitap Tweed Bassman transformer running off a 4 ohm tap going to produce the same sound as a Blackface Bassman transformer which is 4 ohms from the start and about the same physical size?
    I should probably add that I'm thinking about building a 2X12 5F6a.
    Last edited by Five_E35; 01-23-2009, 12:40 PM.

There wont be an oscillation problem with the blue wire to V4.... with no neg feedback loop.As for multi-tap secondaries,I prefer to use a tranny with just one output tap,that way you are using the whole winding,as opposed to using a tap somewhat short of the end of the winding.Does it make a difference?Maybe not,but it is more of "mental thing" for me,maybe just being anal.Never tried one of the multi-tap primaries,but I would have the same misgivings using one.

Comment

Working...
    X