Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does OT resistance matter, RCA GTA's running hot.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does OT resistance matter, RCA GTA's running hot.

Got my 5E3 up and running with very few problems. I still need to poke around preamp leads & grounds for lowest noise, but no oscillations or anything really bad. It has that organic, no reverb needed sound.

Experimenting with tubes, I stuck a pair of RCA greyplate 6V6GTA's in there and they sound really good, but they're each pulling ~35ma. and dragging the voltage well down into the 370's(Sylvania 5Y3WGTA) and running just under 12 watts(a pair of GE JAN 6V6GT's I have run ~30ma.). Is this bad and are RCA's 12 or 14 watt max 6V6's?

I know it's impedence and turns that matters, but noticed the resistance on each side of the OT is ~140 ohms, or quite a bit lower then ~220 ohms common in DRRI OT's. Does lower resistance in the OT affect the static bias of a tube, or is the difference not significant enough to matter?

Tonight it's GZ34's, 5881's, and does this thing work as a 5E5

6V6GT are rated at 14W.

370 something volts at 35mA? I'd say your 5E3 is running exactly as per the textbook!

DC resistance of the OT primaries is not really relevant...unless there's a huge mismatch from either end to CT, which you don't have. The 140ohm transformer may just be wound on thicker wire, which I'd find reassuring.

Comment

Working...
    X