Proluxe to 5E3 conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proluxe to 5E3 conversion

Greetings! This is my first post, but I've been mining the archives for a couple of months. Thanks to everyone for your input. You've already answered a lot of my questions.
    I recently bought a Weber Proluxe (6L6 duet, fixed bias, 40 watt OT) from an online seller. Nice amp, but not the tone I was after. I've since converted the amp to cathode bias and added an impedence switch to facilitate the use of 6V6's. The amp is running great with either set of tubes and I'm much happier with the way it sounds.
    I'd like to try a 5Y3 rectifier tube with the 6V6's, but the Proluxe's 40uf filter caps would put me on very shakey ground. If anyone has a suggestion for a set of caps that would work well with either pair of output tubes, I'd sure appreciate it. Also, I've heard of a standby switch mod that's much more kind to the rectifier tube. If anyone knows this tweak, I'd be very interested.

I built a 5F2A with a 5Y3GT and 40uF last year. The tube handled it no problems. The tube datasheets are written for conservative operation of tubes in old TV sets and radios so that they would last for decades. Guitar amps work better with tubes a bit overloaded. I wouldn't worry about it
    Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

If you are really worried about it, use a 5 watt 47 ohm resistor after pin 8 of the rectifier tube socket and before the first filter cap or standby switch.
      I've been doing a similar thing for years to add life to the rectifier tube when using capacitor input filters well beyond the rating of the rectifier tube.
      I've never had a tube failure due to excessive filter cap loading.
      Bruce

Mission Amps
      Denver, CO. 80022
      www.missionamps.com
      303-955-2412

Comment

Thank you both for the speedy reply. I had read a couple of threads that led me to believe I'd have trouble with a 5Y3. I'm gonna pick one up and give it a shot on Monday, along with the resistor. My amp is starting to sound really good to me. It's GREAT news that I don't need to make any major changes. I'm using a passive mid-cut on my guitars (based on the R. A. Gresco Tone Qube) and am pulling some absolutely sick tone out of the Deluxe! Thanks again for your help.

Comment

I put in a 5Y3GT today and ran the amp hard for an hour or so without any problem (still looking for the 5 watt 47 ohm resistor). The 5Y3 really thickened up the tone.
          This is really cool: for around $35.00 worth of tubes and components, I've got a great sounding amp with lots of options. A few months ago I probably would have sold the Proluxe and moved on to the next amp. Special thanks to Tubeswell, Bruce and every one else who contributed to this project.

Comment

Working...
          X