Scumnicos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scumnicos?

Hi you all, I'm new here, although I put a mission kit together about a year ago. I'm finally getting motivated to revisit my 5e3 and get it in tip top shape.

So, I'm thinking about a speaker upgrade from the C12Q that came with the amp. Like alot of other players, I was thinking about an alnico blue, but the 15 watt power handling really scares the living daylights out of me. Does anybody have any experience with Scumnicos? The clips I've heard have been jaw dropping, but have yet to hear one in a tweed.

Thanks,
    Robert

Don't be really worried about the power handling. Speakers generally let you know when they are getting too much. Not always, but most times. Using a lower wattage speaker gets some great natural compression that can be awesome. It just depends on what you're looking for.

That said, I haven't had the coin to try a Scumback of any type yet, but I do have an AC30 that I would like to try a Blue in. I played one of the newer handwired Voxes in a store at low volumes with a Taylor electric, and didn't really gel with it at all, so I might look a different direction.

Comment

I find the C12Q is really a great sounding speaker.
      Anyway, what I've heard from talking and from soundclips I would go for a weber speaker. For instance the 12A125. But they come in all kinds of wattage and specs.
      You might have a look here: https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/

Comment

Originally posted by robby View Post
        Hi you all, I'm new here, although I put a mission kit together about a year ago. I'm finally getting motivated to revisit my 5e3 and get it in tip top shape.

So, I'm thinking about a speaker upgrade from the C12Q that came with the amp. Like alot of other players, I was thinking about an alnico blue, but the 15 watt power handling really scares the living daylights out of me. Does anybody have any experience with Scumnicos? The clips I've heard have been jaw dropping, but have yet to hear one in a tweed.

Thanks,
        Robert
        Don't sweat the power rating of the Celestion Alnico Blue... it's power handling ability is very conservatively rated. I've got one in my 5E3 build and it handles everything I throw at it just fine...high volume and even boost pedals!

Comment

Working...
        X