Too much current in V4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too much current in V4

I think I broke my 5E3 build. I'm now getting too much current in the 6V6 beside the rectifier along with flashes inside the tube. The current has dropped on the other 6V6. I'm now getting about 45ma & 33ma on the two. They used to be about 38ma each. This is happening with different sets of 5Y3 & power tubes. It all started when I tried a 5V4. Did I break one of the trannies maybe?? The amp sounds normal but after a couple minutes of playing it makes popping noises. (with the flashes in V4)

Thanks
    Sean

Did you check the voltages (plates and screens) with the tubes pulled? You might get a hint for a bad OT. I'd also check the OT's primary windings with the OT off the circuit.

Added:
    Are the flashing tubes always in the same socket? Might be a bad socket.
    Last edited by txstrat; 05-19-2009, 06:14 PM.

Comment

All the tubes pulled or all but the rectifier??

Was working with it today & put in some new JJ 6V6 & all seems well.
      Voltages seem ok with the tubes in. I'll check out the sockets & maybe I've got a bunch of bad tubes? I just picked them up at a Hamfest but he said they all test good. Various brands of oldies.

Sean

Comment

I meant all tubes pulled but the rectifier - since you need that for the DC.
        It might have been a matter of picking the wrong tubes out of the bunch.
        You might use the working oldie-tubes for SE projects.

Comment

Flashes inside a tube usually mean it is dead.

Even if we believe the ham fest guy, running tubes through a tube tester is no guarantee they work.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
          X