No Volume before 2.5 ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Volume before 2.5 ????

I don't get ANY volume before 2.5 on my 59 5E3.

I'm sure is wasn't like this when I first got it a couple of years ago..
    I don't play below 3 so have not noticed it until last night..

I'm concerned, sure it used to be clean until up till around 3.
    Then slowly break... that is why I bought the thing.

It takes more volume to break up now. I used to be able to get it to break up
    whilst just playing with my thumb but it needs more attack these day's usually with a pick..

Any ideas ?
    many thanks

Paul

I'd suspect a faulty pot. Can you get it out of the circuit for measuring it's values?

Comment

I'm in the same boat with my '56. It comes on like a freight train between 2-1/2 and 3. I read on these pages that someone tried a different pot (it was a discussion about taper) that smoothed out the response in that area. Time to pop the cover. (I just wish I could remember what brand was recommended...)
      Black sheep, black sheep, you got some wool?
      Ya, I do man. My back is full.

Comment

I have a new 5E3 clone and it's behavior is similar. It comes on around 2-ish and has most of it's volume by 3.5.

Although, in the OP's case, sounds like it changed behavior. So could be a pot cleaning issue or something.

Comment

My 5E3 clone does this as well. I think it's just the nature of the circuit design. It doesn't really bother me.

I'm sure the audio-taper pots have something to do with it as well.

Comment

In the 5E3 the volume pot wiper is isolated from DC ground by coupling caps so you can ohm it out right in circuit...
            Thermionic vacuum devices rule.

Comment

Hi guys,

I had the same trouble with my 5E3.The problem turned out to be the pot.
              I found that the first few degrees of rotation made no resistance change
              between wiper and ground and then the resistance jumped up dramatically.

I actually had to go through 3 pots untill I found one that showed resistance (betwen wiper and ground) all the way to the CCW position.

If you don't have a selection of pots,you may have to take a multimeter to
              the store.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
              Paddy

Comment

Working...
              X