Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the best Hammond Transformers for the 5E3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the best Hammond Transformers for the 5E3?

Hey im in the porcess of sourcing parts for my 5E3 build. I have hammond transformers available to me locally and am wondering what people would suggest for the the power and output transformers for the 5E3. I plan to use Bruce Collins design found on schematicheaven. Ive read about builds with the 272BX and according to Bruce's PT specs the 273CZ would be a closer match. As for output transformers im not really sure. I know Hammond makes a direct replacement for the tweed deluxe the 1750E but i dont know if mabey something from the classic line would be better.

All suggestions welcome. Oh and the reason im using Hammond is because im in Canada and shipping on transformers from the US would be outrageous.

Thanks

Their classic line is mosty aimed at hi-fi use.
    Sure you can use a 125E and save some cash, but I would stick with the 1750. They are built to vintage Fender specs, instead of being a generic Hammond OT with specs that happen to work.

I've used the 1750N in my Marshall clone, and everyone is raving about my tone.

By the way, where are you in Canada?
    I'm in Montreal and I visited a local store yesterday that had almost all the guitar amp line in stock! Including the 1750E

That said, I've ordered my last transformer set from a1parts.ca, cheapest place I found (they're in Toronto I believe), I got them within a week.

Comment

With the recent trend in transformer upgrading, I've become a big fan of the Hammond line (sure, Mercury's are nice too). I must confess though, that I haven't as of yet tried their [still fairly new] line of "drop-in" guitar amp replacements (such as the aforementioned 1750N model). I'm sure that they are a fine line of replacement O.T.'s, but I've used trannys from their 1600 series in a few of my own amps (in addition to upgrades that I've done for clients), with some beautiful results. Yes, as previously pointed out, that line was "intended" for Hi-Fi/Stereo use, whereas each amp I've done this upgrade to has resulted in:
      1) Improved low end ("true" and "tight" low end, NOT added "fartsie" low end).
      2) Significantly reduced harshness in the high end.
      3) Improved "definition"/ string "seperation".
      4) Notes will sustain more/ easier (even if you're not playing in an "overdrive" mode)
      5) The added versatility of having multiple speaker impedance options.
      All the above characteristics were evident, whether I was playing "clean", heavily distorted, or moderately distorted.
      I can't help but feel that these improvements would be less apparent in their "designed for guitar amps" models.
      Mac/Amps
      "preserving the classics"
      Chicago, Il., USA
      (773) 283-1217
      (cell) (847) 772-2979
      Now back on Chicago's NW side in Jefferson Park!
      www.mac4amps.com

Comment

Originally posted by mac1amps View Post
        With the recent trend in transformer upgrading, I've become a big fan of the Hammond line (sure, Mercury's are nice too). I must confess though, that I haven't as of yet tried their [still fairly new] line of "drop-in" guitar amp replacements (such as the aforementioned 1750N model). I'm sure that they are a fine line of replacement O.T.'s, but I've used trannys from their 1600 series in a few of my own amps (in addition to upgrades that I've done for clients), with some beautiful results. Yes, as previously pointed out, that line was "intended" for Hi-Fi/Stereo use, whereas each amp I've done this upgrade to has resulted in:
        1) Improved low end ("true" and "tight" low end, NOT added "fartsie" low end).
        2) Significantly reduced harshness in the high end.
        3) Improved "definition"/ string "seperation".
        4) Notes will sustain more/ easier (even if you're not playing in an "overdrive" mode)
        5) The added versatility of having multiple speaker impedance options.
        All the above characteristics were evident, whether I was playing "clean", heavily distorted, or moderately distorted.
        I can't help but feel that these improvements would be less apparent in their "designed for guitar amps" models.
        I can confirm that all characteristics listed above are present in the amp I've built with a 1750. The note clarity (definition) was even unsettling at first, I've never had an amp with such a clear and detailed high-end before.

The absence of a multi-tap secondary is in fact one big point to consider about the 1750E though. In building in like a Fender, they included this "quirk".

Comment

Working...
        X