Bulb limiter test on 5E3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bulb limiter test on 5E3

Hi, my build is completed on the Mission deluxe kit 5E3. I just tried the bulb limiter test with no tubes in. The pilot light comes on and no smoke when I hit the mains switch and the bulb limiter glows very dull with a 25 watt bulb. I then hit the standby and the bulb continues to glow dull. I then tried to read the cap voltages but there was no reading. I am waiting to proceed. Do I need the tubes in to get a HV reading??

ange

I don't think a 25 watt bulb is big enough as it only takes about 200ma of current at 120vac to light it up.

Next thing to do is install the rectifier tube.
    When it warms up in a few moments you can flip the amp off of standby and it will charge up all of the high voltage caps to well over 425vdc-450vdc.
    Now you have to be VERY careful as there is no load on the power supply to drain off the high voltage filter caps.... it hurts like hell to get popped by a fully charge high voltage cap.
    If there is no other events... shut it off, plug in the preamp tubes and try again.
    No further events, shut it off.
    Put a speaker load on the amp and pop the power tubes in.
    No events but a little noise from a speaker and it's time to plug a guitar in.
    Bruce

Mission Amps
    Denver, CO. 80022
    www.missionamps.com
    303-955-2412

Comment

Yep

Hi Bruce, ok great to hear from you. Ok so I will pop in the rectifier tube and proceed. The 25 watt bulb did light up dull without the rect tube. Are you suggesting a say ..... 50 or 75w bulb in the limiter??

ange

its gonna rock soon

Comment

All is well

Ok, so that went well and the caps are charging. Next I will load in the other tubes, connect to an 8 ohm speaker and proceed.

ange

Comment

Working...
        X