No announcement yet.

"So Watt" -$225.00 Weber 5E3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some reason to me, for every single one to be wired backwards, it was almost intentional. Like they make the EXACT same amp for a customer who contracts them to build it, but so they can sell it for themselves, they have to switch one thing. Who knows....

Comment

I'd never buy anything Weber. They're great, I guess, for the builder on a severe budget, but I'd rather use parts I can trust. I'd never feel safe at a gig with one of those, it'd be like a Hot Rod Deluxe, what failure mode is raising it's ugly head this time?

Comment

It's more likely that their overseas manufacturer goofed the wiring up. This wouldn't surprise me, they've had mistakes like that in the past, such as PTs with a center tap that was about 50 volts off center. Weber would then have had 3 options:

1: Punt the stuff out the door at a discount complete with miswiring, and have the customer fix it himself.

2: Pay American labor to rewire them.

3: Ship them all back to China for rewiring, and then have them shipped back to the US for sale.

They obviously thought option 1 would make the most profit.

Tele-Cat: I don't see why this shouldn't be a fine amp. Cheap parts don't necessarily mean bad reliability, it's bad design that messes things up. The Fender Hot Rod series are complicated PCB amps with lots of things to go wrong and several known flaws, whereas the 5E3 design is tried and tested for 50+ years.
        "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Originally posted by Tele-Cat View Post
          I'd never buy anything Weber. They're great, I guess, for the builder on a severe budget, but I'd rather use parts I can trust. I'd never feel safe at a gig with one of those, it'd be like a Hot Rod Deluxe, what failure mode is raising it's ugly head this time?
          And what specific Weber parts do you think fail?
          "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
          - Yogi Berra

Comment

Weber probably sent the assembly house a "go by" that had SwitchCraft jacks or an assembly diagram that was done with SwitchCraft jacks. If any testing was done, it didn't involve pushing a signal through from input to output.
            WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
            REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

One man's trash...

I'd rather spend the money and do things correctly. Call me a purist, or a spendthrift, but I go with MM iron, Sprague Electrolytics (If only Solen would make a 16uf 500V cap, I'd never use another electrolytic)
              why not 15 or 18uf at 630v?

Solen Electronique Inc.
              Solen Electronique Inc.

I just bought a bag of 10 x 22uf/630v Solens for <$4 each

a bit big for cathode bypass but what the hell

Comment

Originally posted by JoeM View Post
                And what specific Weber parts do you think fail?
                Based on what others have told me, there's no telling, it varies. I am not a fan of Weber, the stuff they make or their business practices. I know a lot of people like them and that's fine, *I* am not one of them, and it's a topic I don't care to get into, in detail. If you like them and their products work for you, have at it, more power to you. Just, please, don't ask me to call it good.

I'm out.

Comment

My question in response would be, do they fit on a typical 5E3 tag board (eyelets)? I know 630V, non-electrolytic caps get pretty big.

Comment

Based on what others have told me, there's no telling, it varies. I am not a fan of Weber, the stuff they make or their business practices. I know a lot of people like them and that's fine, *I* am not one of them, and it's a topic I don't care to get into, in detail. If you like them and their products work for you, have at it, more power to you. Just, please, don't ask me to call it good.

I'm out.
                    No one is asking you to call it good. We're just wondering why you're calling it bad "based on what other people have told you." It really doesn't look like you have your own experience, and just hate for some reason...
                    I'm not trying to defend Weber's kits, having only used(and enjoyed) their speakers, but I am trying to make as educated a decision as possible when it comes to my next build. Honestly, they make some pretty terrific-looking kits in my opinion...

Comment

Originally posted by balcorn80 View Post
                      No one is asking you to call it good. We're just wondering why you're calling it bad "based on what other people have told you." It really doesn't look like you have your own experience, and just hate for some reason...
                      I'm not trying to defend Weber's kits, having only used(and enjoyed) their speakers, but I am trying to make as educated a decision as possible when it comes to my next build. Honestly, they make some pretty terrific-looking kits in my opinion...
                      I've explained it as much as I'm going to. I DO have experience with Weber and it was very bad. That's as much as you get. Sorry. I prefer using top-shelf parts when I build. Nothing personal and I hasten to remind you, there's no need to take offense. I'm not talking about your mom.

Comment

I've explained it as much as I'm going to. I DO have experience with Weber and it was very bad. That's as much as you get. Sorry. I prefer using top-shelf parts when I build. Nothing personal and I hasten to remind you, there's no need to take offense. I'm not talking about your mom.
                        Well, that there told me more than anything you had previously said about weber. Thats what I wanted to know. They build to a price-point, aka cheap parts. Much more informative than "From what I've heard other people say". And I wasn't taking offense. I just wanted to know why exactly I should avoid them. And I agree with you. It takes just as long to install good parts as cheap parts. and when you get down to switches and what not, the price difference between a good one and a cheap one is negligible.
                        Also, it shows great restraint to state your opnion, and the basis thereof rather than just talk trash about them. Very mature. Bravo. And thank you for the information.
                        Last edited by balcorn80; 10-20-2009, 05:20 PM. Reason: addition

Comment

Originally posted by balcorn80 View Post
                          Well, that there told me more than anything you had previously said about weber. Thats what I wanted to know. They build to a price-point, aka cheap parts. Much more informative than "From what I've heard other people say". And I wasn't taking offense. I just wanted to know why exactly I should avoid them. And I agree with you. It takes just as long to install good parts as cheap parts. and when you get down to switches and what not, the price difference between a good one and a cheap one is negligible.
                          Also, it shows great restraint to state your opnion, and the basis thereof rather than just talk trash about them. Very mature. Bravo. And thank you for the information.
                          Oh, you caught me in a good mood, that's all.

When you get down to almost all of it, the cost difference is pretty small, except for transformers, and maybe the chassis itself. Resistors are incredibly cheap, signal caps are cheap, electrolytics cost more but as I said I'm looking for a way to get away from electrolytics and use Solens for filters. THe physical dimensions are the sticking point.

I'm actually going to take my building to another level and start making my own boards. I've used several from turretboards.com and Ken does great work, but phenolic isn't very expensive and if I have a template, I can crank out tag boards for much smaller cost, and I can get eyelets from a fabric store or a hardware store. I have several people who want to pay me to build, but I told them if they are looking to do it on the cheap, to contact someone else, if my name goes on it, nothing but the best goes in it. I have good sources for MM iron and other things. I use JMI Music and Hoffman Amplifiers, Tube amplifier parts, tube amps, tubes for a lot of things, Mojo for cabs.

Thanks for not taking offense. On other fora, many take any discouraging words about Weber as a personal affront and get all exercised about it. :-\

Comment

I'm out.
                            OK. And you're certainly entitlied to your opinion. I have a Weber kit and am very pleased with it. Only upgraded the jacks and switches, and where my particular build differed from the kit I used some Mallory 150s. Ted had great service and answered any questions I had. I think a lot of inexperienced builders are drawn in by the lower prices, and some issues are more due to build errors. (Which end of the solder iron do I hold?) In the 2 years since I completed mine it has given me great service. Check out the Weber boards, plenty of very happy owners.
                            "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
                            - Yogi Berra

Comment

As I said, I have no issue with those who like Weber stuff. I don't. I want better stuff in my amps. If you're happy, that's great. I did not have a good customer experience with Weber, I'm not a fan. No biggie. Nuthin personal.

Comment

Nuthin personal.
                                No Problem. I didnt take it that way.

There are some very good kits available elsewhere. (Mission, Allen etc.)
                                - Yogi Berra

Comment

Working...
                                X