No announcement yet.

P12R's don't last?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, I was wondering if that extra weight was bad for the cabinet. Come to think of it, the amp sounds kind of dead with this speaker, compared to a P12R.
    Last edited by flatfive; 07-25-2009, 02:43 AM.
    www.vernonhead.com

Comment

Just as an update- I bought a 1960 P12Q on eBay and popped it into my other 5e3. I have to say I like the P12R more, at least in the living room. The "R" breaks up smoother and the highs are less harsh. Of course the amps have differences beyond the speakers. The one with the P12Q has a Mercury Magnetics OT and Orange Drops, the other one has a Triode and Sozos. Tubes are about the same, EH 6v6, EH 12ax7s, NOS recifiers.

The P12R just seems like a better match. But the P12Q may work better in an actual gig. At least now I have a backup.
      www.vernonhead.com

Comment

P12R /Q

I tried a 1960 P12Q in my 59 5E3.

Sounds great in my 59 5G9 Tremolux.

The P12R is soooo matched for a vintage Deluxe 5E3.
        OK ther bass can be a little flabby.. That is the amp I'm sure.

I tried the same P12R in the Tremolux and the bass was much tighter.

LP..P90's

Comment

I just ordered a T12Q (custom model made for them by Weber) from Tungsten Amps...according to Premier Guitar it's supposedly VERY close to a vintage P12Q.

It's going into my Mission Tweedy (already equipped with Bruce's Super OT, Paul C mod and his tone-mod).

Comment

Originally posted by billyz View Post
            In the olden times we used fingernail polish to fix alot of speakers.
            Clear fingernail polish, toilet tissue, and flat black spray paint.

Comment

Originally posted by olddawg View Post
              Clear fingernail polish, toilet tissue, and flat black spray paint.
              Personally I liked zig zag papers, never bothered with the paint.

Comment

Back in those days, when faced with limited funds and a choice to buy zig zags or toilet paper, the zig zags would always win out. It was definitely more comfortable to wipe your ass with a properly softened paper bag than smoke a joint rolled from one.

Comment

That's too much information
                  www.vernonhead.com

Comment

Working...
                  X