Weber Alnico Signature 12S vs 12 Speaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weber Alnico Signature 12S vs 12 Speaker

I am currently building another Tweed Deluxe and wanted to see if anyone has any experience with the Weber Alnico Signature 12" speakers. This amp will be used for home use to play blues and classic rock. I am looking for a speaker that will give me a nice "break up sound". I have listened to the Weber 12A125A in a Tweed Deluxe amp, but think it has a little too much head room in my opinion. What speaker would be better for this application, the Weber Alnico Signature 12S or 12? Thanks!

I installed a Weber Signature 12S in my Tweed Deluxe a few days ago. Most impressed with the sound and early breakup. This speaker replaced the Eminence Red Fang orginally installed. The Red Fang is a very fine speaker, just not prone to early breakup. When built to the original (for the most part) schematic, I found the 5E3 had more headroom than I wanted. I modded it for lower B+ and ran a pair of 6K6s in place of the 6V6 power tubes. I also inserted a switched -12dB L-pad in the speaker wiring. The Weber speaker was the icing on the cake. Now I have the tone I was looking for.

Comment

'nother vote for the 12S for earlier breakup

(Also Gr8 value for money)
      Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

If you liked the 12A125A but just want less headroom, then the 12S is the likely candidate. It has basically the same cone as teh 12A125A, but smaller magnet. The 12S is something like a Jensen P12R, whereas the 12A125A is more like a P12Q.

The 12 (non-S) has a smooth cone and will get even more break-up and won't be as bright as the 12S. Weber's "qualitative" descriptions give a verbal picture of the differences.

I had a 12S in my 5E3 and really loved the vintage tone, but wanted a little more headroom. So now I have the 12A125A and am quite happy with it.

Comment

Originally posted by mbratch View Post
          If you liked the 12A125A but just want less headroom, then the 12S is the likely candidate. It has basically the same cone as teh 12A125A, but smaller magnet. The 12S is something like a Jensen P12R, whereas the 12A125A is more like a P12Q.

The 12 (non-S) has a smooth cone and will get even more break-up and won't be as bright as the 12S. Weber's "qualitative" descriptions give a verbal picture of the differences.

I had a 12S in my 5E3 and really loved the vintage tone, but wanted a little more headroom. So now I have the 12A125A and am quite happy with it.
          I've quite a few requests from harp players to use the Sig 12 (non S) in the 5E3 and others, probably because of the earlier break-up, it is not as dynamic as the Q speakers nor as bright.
          Bruce

Mission Amps
          Denver, CO. 80022
          www.missionamps.com
          303-955-2412

Comment

I have an Alnico Sig12A in mine. I'm completely happy with it, but I can't compare it to the others. I just know I have no reason to think I'd like a different one better.

Comment

Thanks for all your feedback. IMO, the 12A125A was a little bright as this amp was only meant to be used for home use. With that said, I will try the 12 (non S) as I am looking for a more warm early break up sound. In my search, someone also recommended the Weber 12A150. Very costly and I am not really sure from reading the Weber description if that is what I am looking for. Has anyone out there tried the Weber 12A150?

Comment

Working...
              X