Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power output switch?

Hi,

I've recently completed building a 5E3 and love it. I do find it too loud for practice, but i do see all the volume being useable at some point!

I wondering whether I could a switch to select two different cathode resistors? At present I have a 330 Ohm and it gives me around 14 watts. I am thinking of putting a 600 ohm on a switch to lower the power output when all the volume is not required!
    Would this work?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Originally posted by danielarimcaulay View Post
    Hi,

I've recently completed building a 5E3 and love it. I do find it too loud for practice, but i do see all the volume being useable at some point!

I wondering whether I could a switch to select two different cathode resistors? At present I have a 330 Ohm and it gives me around 14 watts. I am thinking of putting a 600 ohm on a switch to lower the power output when all the volume is not required!
    Would this work?

Thanks in advance for any input!
    I believe you'll lose some of the tone, as the output tubes won't be running as hot. You will lose volume, but I "believe" you'll lose more overdrive/distortion than volume. This is based on my experience running a 470 ohm resistor inplace of the 250 originally called for.... I'm no expert...

Comment

It won't have the effect that you are looking for, the tone may become thin & sterile, operating voltages in the amp will rise & the amp may sound harder, less warm.

Your cathode resistor does not set the wattage of the amp's output (measured in AC Watts RMS), it sets the dc W plate dissipation (how much current the tubes take before going pop). Oftentimes, backing off the plate current will mean that you have to turn the amp up more to get a driven tone, the amp can actually come accross as louder, but not necessarily pleasantly so.

In extreme cases, a larger cathode resistor may push the B+ voltage beyond tube & cap ratings.

Comment

Working...
      X