Best hammond PT for 5E3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best hammond PT for 5E3?

Hey everyone im looking to build a 5e3 head and I can get hammond PT's locally. Im just curious what people suggest. Im going to be building based on the weber schematic and layout and acording to thier specs the PT should be 340 -0- 340. Most of the classic series transformers are rated for 115vac so one of the 300 - 0 - 300 would give around 313V at 120 from the wall. This is lower than the 340 but will it make that much of a difference?

Hammond makes drop-in replacement Tranny's with the correct voltages/spec's for the 5E3 amp.

Grungy

Comment

If your stuck with "off the shelf" models instead of the Hammond guitar amp line I think you'll be fine with the 300-0-300. Or Hammond also makes a 620CT@172mA (325-0-325 with 120 into the primary) or a 650CT@172mA (339-0-339 with 120 into the primary). But be sure of your primary voltage. Mine fluctuates between 117 and 126. And at 126 primary volts that 650CT becomes 355-0-355.

FWIW I think Hammond just recently added a 120V primary tap to their 2XX line power transformers. So if you actually have 120 wall volts there's no math.

Chuck
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I don't know why you are so concerned with fluctuating wall voltages, there is nothing you can do about that.

The Hammond 290FX is a drop-in for a Tweed Deluxe.
        The Hi-V voltage is 330vac, using a 5Y3 rectifier you will get 360vdc B+ unloaded, loaded tubes-in it will drop 20-30 volts to 330-340vdc, in the range of a Tweed Deluxe.

I use a 5V4 rectifier with my 5E3 it brings the B+ to 390vdc unloaded, about 360 loaded tubes-in, still in the range of a Tweed Deluxe.

The 290DX has 300vac at 125ma you will have to use a bigger rectifier such as the 5V4 to get the B+ voltage up in the range of the Tweed Deluxe, the 5Y3 rec will be too low.

If you can get Hammond's locally I'm sure you can get the 290FX model ordered in.
        Best

Grungy
        (Cambridge Ontario)

Comment

If I were to go with one of the 300V PT at a 115V primary would using solid state rectification be an option or would that just ruin the idea of a 5e3 all together?

Comment

What you'll find is that the 300vac Hammond will put out about 330vac or so.
            With a nos 5Y3GT, North American line voltages of 120vac-126vac, I bet that PT will end up pushing about 350vdc-370vdc to the center tap of the OT. Close to what it should be.
            If you think the B+ is low, just use a Russian 5Y3GT with it.
            In any case, it will probably still end up having about the same or more B+ at the center tap of the OT then a vintage 5E3 running at 110v-115vac.
            Bruce

Mission Amps
            Denver, CO. 80022
            www.missionamps.com
            303-955-2412

Comment

Sounds good to me. I have a NOS IEC 5Y3GT rectifier here that will hopefully make the cut. I think ill grab a 272DX its rate 300V at 125mA. Hopefully this does the trick

Comment

Originally posted by GrungeMan View Post
                I don't know why you are so concerned with fluctuating wall voltages, there is nothing you can do about that.

The Hammond 290FX is a drop-in for a Tweed Deluxe.
                The Hi-V voltage is 330vac, using a 5Y3 rectifier you will get 360vdc B+ unloaded, loaded tubes-in it will drop 20-30 volts to 330-340vdc, in the range of a Tweed Deluxe.

I use a 5V4 rectifier with my 5E3 it brings the B+ to 390vdc unloaded, about 360 loaded tubes-in, still in the range of a Tweed Deluxe.

The 290DX has 300vac at 125ma you will have to use a bigger rectifier such as the 5V4 to get the B+ voltage up in the range of the Tweed Deluxe, the 5Y3 rec will be too low.

If you can get Hammond's locally I'm sure you can get the 290FX model ordered in.
                Best

Grungy
                (Cambridge Ontario)
                Hi,

I'm a bit confused about this.

The Hammond web site lists the 290AX for the Champ, Vibro Champ, Princeton, Princeton Reverb, Tweed Deluxe.
                The 290FX is listed for Twin Reverb, Dual Showman, Bassman 100.

Help?
                --
                Richard _/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
                "Sorry for the Inconvenience."

Comment

Yes I screwed up quoting the model numbers, I was on-line just before going to work so I was rushing things, my apologies.

Hammond Power Transformers for Guitar Amps

290AX, 325vac @ 70ma, laydown/thru-chassis mount, the current is too low for a Tweed Deluxe.
                  and,
                  The 2.5" x 2" foot print is for a Champ, this will not fit the Tweed Deluxe footprint!

290BX, 330vac @ 120ma, laydown thru-chassis mount.
                  This is for a Tweed Deluxe because the footprint is 2.8125" x 2.250" and it also has a larger current supply sufficient for 2-6v6's.

Hammond Classic Power Transformers

272DX, 300vac @ 125ma, take note this may only be available in Standup mount, check before ordering!

Comment

The 272DX is a stand up design but this is going to be a head build so its not a concern.

Comment

Oh good, I was concerned that I may have given you the wrong info!

I'm partial to Standup Tranny's myself, I weld a plate on the Tweed chassis tranny opening.

Good luck with the build!

Comment

Originally posted by GrungeMan View Post
                        Yes I screwed up quoting the model numbers, I was on-line just before going to work so I was rushing things, my apologies.

Hammond Power Transformers for Guitar Amps

290AX, 325vac @ 70ma, laydown/thru-chassis mount, the current is too low for a Tweed Deluxe.
                        and,
                        The 2.5" x 2" foot print is for a Champ, this will not fit the Tweed Deluxe footprint!

290BX, 330vac @ 120ma, laydown thru-chassis mount.
                        This is for a Tweed Deluxe because the footprint is 2.8125" x 2.250" and it also has a larger current supply sufficient for 2-6v6's.

Hammond Classic Power Transformers

272DX, 300vac @ 125ma, take note this may only be available in Standup mount, check before ordering!
                        I have one of these
                        315vac @100ma. OK?

That website recommends their "40-18021" as "This is the most accurate replica of any '50s 5E3 Tweed Deluxe** type project or drop-in replacement on the market!"
                        355VAC @ 100ma. ???

BTW, Is there such a thing as too MUCH current?

I'm a newb here.
                        Last edited by RichardM; 01-31-2010, 12:26 AM. Reason: Fixed typo "40-18021"
                        --
                        Richard _/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
                        "Sorry for the Inconvenience."

Comment

40-18027 is a Champ transformer, the footprint is 2" x 2.5" which only fits a champ, won't fit a Deluxe footprint, voltage is low at 315vac but can be bumped up with a 5V4. I would think the 100ma current is border line for a Tweed Deluxe.

The 40-18012 link I think is a typo?
                          Well anyways it shows 40-18021, a pic of a Tweed Deluxe Tranny with the period correct number 6452.

Higher current will be more efficient but if it states period correct "Vintage Era Original", I'm sure 100ma will do and the 355vac with a 5Y3 is also good.

Same companies website link that you supplied, my preference would be the 40-18016, which is the Deluxe Reverb Tranny, 330vac at 120ma, and has the same footprint as the Tweed Deluxe.

Check Mercury Magnetics and see how many different voltages they put out for a Tweed Deluxe Tranny. All depends on the Manufacturer I guess.

I've read a lot of people use the Magnetic Components product from Triode Electronics and that they are satisfied customers.
                          Last edited by GrungeMan; 01-30-2010, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X