Magnetic Components 5E3 OT & PT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnetic Components 5E3 OT & PT

I wanted to see if anyone out there has used the Magnetic Components OT (40-18022) and PT (40-18021) offered through either Triode or Amp Parts Direct for a Tweed Deluxe build. The price is very affordable. I wanted to know what you thought of the tone they delivered. If you have used these and other manufactures, please compare. Thanks!

The OT is nicely built and sounds really good. Alas, it is built just like vintage Fender 108 iron with a self lead soldered to the carcass, a no-no in my book if you want proper grounding - return goes thru the whole chassis.

You should unsolder the self lead, isolate it with some shrink tubing and tie it to a proper ground.

The PT is OK, with B+ on the high side and a small stack. I prefer their 40-18016, with it's bigger stack and lower B+.

http://www.classictone.net/40-18016.pdf

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I will keep that in mind. Anyone else out there have any experience with Bruce's transformers from Mission Amps or the one's offered from Mojo? Thanks.

Comment

Just received the OT today

I would love to hear the best way to handle this. I'm on my first complete build and value the vast experience here. Could one desolder it from the tranny body, solder an extended lead, heat shrink it and then connect it to the speaker jack ground lug? Or is there a superior way? I am using the Hoffman grounding technique in my build. Thanks in advance for your kind replies.

Sorry, Jman if I stepped on your thread. I probably need a tutorial on forum etiquette.
        Last edited by gsr; 03-26-2010, 12:33 AM. Reason: heisted Jman's thread

Comment

Could one desolder it from the tranny body, solder an extended lead, heat shrink it and then connect it to the speaker jack ground lug?
          Exactly.

I am using the Hoffman grounding technique in my build.
          Will you use an Hoffman-style board?

Comment

Will you use an Hoffman-style board?

No, I fashioned my own eyelet board from some G10 from the standard Fender layout. I did attempt to follow the grounding suggestions from the El84 site. Btw, the hoffman boards are a work of art. No wonder they sign them!

Comment

Working...
            X