Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question regarding changing coupling caps.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding changing coupling caps.

I want to take some of the low end bass out of the amp. I have read on other posts about changing the .1 uf coupling caps to either a .022uf or .047 uf. (I am new to amp work so forgive my ingnorance.) A couple folks suggested switching out the first two caps. I don't know which ones they are. Also which channel are they going to effect, the normal channel or the bright channel?

The schematic I am looking at ( http://www.hoffmanamps.com/charts/Sc...DELUXE_5E3.pdf ) shows four .1 caps three of which are 400 volt caps and one which is 200 volts.

Can someone please tell me exactely which caps to change please?

Also, which brand caps should I use for this purpose or does it really matter?

Finally, everything I have read says to use caps that are at least 600 volts while the schematic call for lower voltage, why?

Thanks in advance for helping me.

400v caps are more then ample for a standard 5E3 clone.
    Replace the caps that couple audio from the first preamp section to the volume pots.
    .022uf to .047uF will reduce the amount of bass only a small amount.
    However, if you replace the first and second preamp tube's 22uF-25uF cathode bypass cap with a smaller one, like 1uF to 4.7uF, you will cut more bass then dropping those .1uF coupling caps.
    In my opionion, experiment with those bypass caps first.
    Bruce

Mission Amps
    Denver, CO. 80022
    www.missionamps.com
    303-955-2412

Comment

Cap Changes

The caps that ppl are referring to are the .1u caps just past the 1st preamp tube,typically the first two caps on the right side of your turret board (furthest from the power supply filter caps)

I am somewhat of a newbie myself, and am going to make the changes in my amp very soon. When I get it complete I'll let you know. I am going with .047u. I have it on good authority from some fine folks in this forum that .047u will do the trick.

I have made so may mod's to my tweed it's kindof a Franken-Tweed, but it sounds pretty descent.

Have fun and be careful...

Comment

Working...
      X