Triode Electronics 5E3 Kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triode Electronics 5E3 Kit?

Has anyone worked with Triode Electronics? Or built any kits/ use transformers they re-sell? Triode Electronics Tube Amp Kits Transformers Tubes Dynaco Upgrades and Parts

I am looking to do a 5E3 Kit and been doing some price/value checking, the 5E3 kit (no cab/chassis/tubes) is $240.

Components look comparable to the Mission Amp kits (highly recommended, but with a bit higher price).

Tks,

Originally posted by MdMrMat View Post
    Has anyone worked with Triode Electronics? Or built any kits/ use transformers they re-sell? Triode Electronics Tube Amp Kits Transformers Tubes Dynaco Upgrades and Parts

I am looking to do a 5E3 Kit and been doing some price/value checking, the 5E3 kit (no cab/chassis/tubes) is $240.

Components look comparable to the Mission Amp kits (highly recommended, but with a bit higher price).

Tks,
    I have used them. Great kits, they don't come with a chassis or tubes though as you mention, so you will need to get some extra stuff they don't include. I have used the Magnetic Components xformers on several builds now. I really like them. xformers are made in the USA and seem to be high quality.

That or mission depends on what you want. IIRC, Mission gives you a well put together cab, and a NOS recto, so that you get something very close to a vintage 5E3. If you want something that looks authentic, Mission is for you. But if you like the carpentry aspect, then building your own cab and drilling your own chassis is fun too. It also gives you more control over the form factor. I have build a 5E3 head and a combo from Triode kits. If I were going to build something for someone, I'd probably use a Mission kit. For myself, I like making my own stuff, so I used the triode kit.
    In the future I invented time travel.

Comment

Classic 15 watt amp, not really much to it. The Kit was really easy to assemble and the wiring layout provided was a huge help.

I built it so I'm expecting it to last a lifetime. The components were all of high quality, and the transformers are american made and perform flawlessly.
      Last edited by tboy; 04-08-2011, 09:07 AM. Reason: removed off topic spam link

Comment

Everything I have heard about them, Triode, sounds good. Also, lots of good feedback on their ebay store. I plan to purchase either from Triode or Mission. Seems like win - win.

Comment

I built one and all components are of excellent quality I would def. recommend

Comment

I built one, too. It works fine and I would recommend one.
            www.vernonhead.com

Comment

I've bought parts from Triode too. I had a problem with UPS losing the package, but Triode sent me new parts before UPS dealt with it. Really great customer service.
              "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
              - Yogi Berra

Comment

I just built a couple of triode kits. Pros: good quality sockets, caps, wire, pots, jacks, switches, power cord, trafos. turret board. Cons: problems with chassis lettering coming off, too small 1/4 w resistors, pre-drilled board mount holes 1/8" too close to input jacks making them short out, knobs needed to be chased with a drill to fit on shafts. Great customer service and a willingness to make things right. In the end I think it was about a wash, kit vs. parting out myself.
                It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Originally posted by Randall View Post
                  problems with chassis lettering coming off
                  a HAH!, source of the vanishing-letter chassis revealed at last! You must have used chemicals to clean it, maybe di-hydrogen oxide with a dab of elbow grease? As I recall, Windex but what's that, 99% water plus a tiny dab of alcohol, detergent & blue dye. But Triode did make good on it, right? Glad it worked out but ow, what a hassle.
                  This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by cminor9 View Post
                    I have used them. Great kits, they don't come with a chassis or tubes though as you mention, so you will need to get some extra stuff they don't include. I have used the Magnetic Components xformers on several builds now. I really like them. xformers are made in the USA and seem to be high quality.

That or mission depends on what you want. IIRC, Mission gives you a well put together cab, and a NOS recto, so that you get something very close to a vintage 5E3. If you want something that looks authentic, Mission is for you. But if you like the carpentry aspect, then building your own cab and drilling your own chassis is fun too. It also gives you more control over the form factor. I have build a 5E3 head and a combo from Triode kits. If I were going to build something for someone, I'd probably use a Mission kit. For myself, I like making my own stuff, so I used the triode kit.
                    You can also buy the Mission kit without a cabinet and build your own. I've done that 2 times. I checked out both Triode and mission and both were good quality components. Personally I prefer the Mallory caps I got with the Mission to the orange drop caps that come with the
                    Triode - also like the NOS rectifier that Mission sent. (My first tweed deluxe not from either Mission or Triode I built I used orange drops) - I'm sure you'll do well with either. Have fun with your build.

Comment

Working...
                    X