Newbe First 5e3 Build No Sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbe First 5e3 Build No Sound

This is my first build and need help. I'm getting no sound.
    12AY7 v1
    pin1) 268
    pin2) 1.6
    pin3) 1.4
    pin4&5)20.5
    pin6) 273
    pin7) 1.0
    Pin8) 1.4
    pin9) 20.6
    12AX7 v2
    pin1) 180
    pin2) 1.0
    pin3) 1.4
    pin4&5) 20.5
    pin6) 225.9
    pin7) 18.8
    pin8) 50.6
    pin9) 20.5
    6V6 v3
    pin2) 20.5
    pin3) 346
    pin4) 319
    pin5) 76.9
    pin6) 86
    pin7) 20.5
    pin8) 20.5
    6V6 v4
    pin2) 20.5
    pin3) 348
    pin4) 319
    pin5) 83
    pin6) 83
    pin7) 20.5
    pin8) 20.5
    5Y3GT
    pin2) 358
    pin4) 2.6
    pin6) 2.6
    pin8) 358
    Filter caps (276) (317) (356)
    Hope this helps, here is some photo's
    Any thought's?

Stevie Joe
    Last edited by tboy; 02-12-2011, 05:43 AM. Reason: tag cleanup

No sound at all, as in o hiss or hum or country music radio stations? Or no sound from your guitar?

Joe

Comment

You shouldn't have any postive dc voltage on pins 5 & 6 of the 6V6s. Should be 0vdc.

Comment

I get no sound at all. From the guitar or hum from the amp. When I touch some pins I will get a static sound from the speaker. I hooked up the speaker to my Fender blues deluxe to see if it works and it works.
        Does the photos look right? Might it be the OT not working right? When I get home from work I will check voltage again.

Comment

When you are checking the voltages, check to see where you get static/pops when checking tube plates (pin 3 6V6, pins 1 & 6 12A#7s), as you get nearer the inputs the pops will get louder, e.g, if you find you have no popsat V1 pins 1 & 6, you will know that somewhere between that tube and the last place you heard a pop is where the problem is.

Comment

OK V1 12ay7 pin1 I get just a little pop pin6 I get no pop. Both preamp tubes do not get that hot. You can touch them with you finger. The NOS 5y3GT & 6V6 get HOT. Is it the ground at the second .1uF cap? I will recheck the solder joints..

Comment

What is that red wire doing behind the left lug of the tone pot?
              What is the red wire grounded to the lug that has your green power cord wire soldered on... why the deviations from the layout?
              You have a lot of unneeded ground wires running to the input jacks... make sure they are connected correctly or innocently.

You should not have that much B+ at the plates of the 12AY7 either.
              There should be ZERO vdc at lugs 2 and 7 of the 12AY7. You could not have that high of vdc at lugs 1 and 6 of the 12AY7 with any dc voltage on lugs 2 and 7!
              There should be ZERO vdc at the power tube grids too... if there was dc voltage on the grids of the 6V6s, lugs 5, you could not have 20.5vdc at lug 8 because the tube would be drawing so much current, they would be in thermal meltdown!
              Are you sure your voltmeter is working OK... there should +350vac at lugs 4 and 6 of the 5Y3 socket.. you have close to the correct vdc at lug 8 though.
              Make sure you didn't short out the shielded cable, (center wire to shield) from the volume pot, to lug 2 of the 12AX7.
              Last edited by Bruce / Mission Amps; 02-13-2011, 03:36 AM.
              Bruce

Mission Amps
              Denver, CO. 80022
              www.missionamps.com
              303-955-2412

Comment

The extra grounds came from a tech at Sam Ash. I should have known better to ask them for any thing.
                I'm using a new Radio Shack DMM. I have an old Sperry DMM that I will try to see if I get different readings.
                The RG174 from pin2 on 12ax7 do I use the shielded wire plus the center wire to first Volume pot?
                Where Should I ground the Output jacks to?
                What is the right numbers I should have on pins, filter caps -etc?

Comment

YES!!! Thank You Bruce!!! Almost there. I rewired the pins and took out all the grounds that where not needed. Now the bright channel works, but the normal channel does not. Plus when I turn up both volumes the sound drops out some. Turn down the normal vol and she gets loud.
                  I have to stop now because the wife is in bed and I have to get up early to work the Ren-Fair tomorrow. I will be back tomorrow night to give an up date.
                  Any thoughts on whats up with the normal channel not working?
                  Thanks to all.
                  Stevie Joe

Comment

Radio Shack DMM does not work right. That is why I have readings all over the place. It's going back tomorrow.

Comment

I did it. I found the problem and now she works.
                      YES!!!!
                      Thank You All for the help.
                      Stevie Joe

Comment

Working...
                      X