Volume control question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volume control question

I've finally completed my first build. After two home made boards, i bought the PCB from Tube Depot, and it works perfectly. I've heard the 5e3 has a rather limited range on the volume control, mine is no exception. From 0 to 1 it's clean, low level. From 1 to 3 it's a little too loud and starting to break up. From 4 to 12 it's just pure awesome tone, but Way too loud. Is there a way to get more range out of the volume control? I plan on building a power soak for home use, but i was hoping to get a little more control in the lower level clean tones. Thanks, Dave.

Are you using a 12AX7 as V1? The lower gain of the 12AY7 translates to more usable range at the low end of the volume control.
    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Mouser sells Bourns "guitar" pots. They're 24mm and have a 10% log taper. The smaller taper will give you a lot more range on the lower settings. If the pots you have are 30% log (typical) and 2 is your max clean setting a 10% log taper will expand that adjustment range to max clean around 5. Higher level adjustments obviously become narrower.
      Last edited by Chuck H; 05-14-2011, 04:19 PM.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I am using a 12AX7, i will try a 12 AY7. I'll look into those pots as well. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Chuck, my impression is that most current audio pots are 10% taper? Weber are the only supplier I've found for 30% vintage style audio taper. I'd be interested to know if you've found any others. Pete.
          My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

I just measured a couple of Alpha pots I have on hand. The ones EVERYONE uses. The 1M pots are 15%, the 500k pots are 20%. I don't have any 250k pots on hand but I remember needing to buy a Bourns 10% pot to get the taper I wanted because the Alpha pot was about three times faster. I assumed that because the 250k Alpha pot was about 30% that all the Alpha pots were. I haven't had a problem that required tweaking the taper before this so I didn't realize that Alpha uses different tapers for different values.

Since the 5e3 volume pots are 1M I don't suppose there will be much advantage to an A10 pot over an A15 (if the OP's pots are Alpha brand).
            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Doh!

Well it helps to have the Right taper pots to start with. I had linear "B" pots, instead of audio "A" pots. Much better after the switch. The 12AY7 is much cleaner as well. Thanks again for the help.

Comment

Yes, the taper makes such a difference to the 'user interface'!
                Chuck, thanks for checking yours, I went and checked the taper of my 'pot' stash:-
                Omeg 1M (UK based, supplier to RS, Farnell and Maplin) ~ 10%
                CTS 250k ~ 10%
                Alpha 1M ~ 15%
                CGE (Mexico) 250k ~ 15%
                Weber 1M ~ 25%

The very few vintage BF Fenders I've checked have 30% on the vol and treble, 10% bass and mid.
                SF Fenders have used linear for vol.
                All the Marshalls I've checked have been 10% vol and bass, linear for presence, mid and treble.
                Horses for courses I guess - Pete.
                My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Working...
                X