New 5e3 completed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 5e3 completed

Here's some pics of my just completed 5e3. I did a scratch build, mostly following the official fender layout.

Speaker is a Weber Sig 12, coupling caps are Mallory 150, transformers are Magnetic Components 40-18016 (PT) and 40-18022 (OT). The cabinet is constructed out of walnut, maple and padauk, with an Arm-R-Seal finish. Chassis is Weber SS.

Click image for larger version

Name:	front.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	863563
    Nice view of the completed amp. Please no comments about my cheap-ass guitar. The Tele will be on it's way shortly.

Name:	open_back_outside.jpeg
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	863564
    Wired up with tubes installed. Not sure about the JJ 5Y3S. My B+ is a little high at 388. I've got an NOS tube on order and we'll see if it brings it down some.

Name:	closed_back_inside.jpeg
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	863565
    I went with the simple wide panel-style back. Shows off the tubes better and I think I can trust myself not use the cabinet as a storage area.

Name:	powered_on.jpeg
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	863566
    It's alive! Nice pic of the different wood and the finish, too.
    Last edited by Sneakers; 06-09-2011, 01:57 AM.

One thing is a bit puzzling, though: if you look at the second pic, you can see the bleeder resistor across the first filter cap, a 220K-2w. When I was running through the initial checks, and only had the recto tube installed, it took about a minute for the caps to discharge through the bleeder. However, now that I've installed the other tubes, the caps discharge within 4 or 5 seconds after power-off. Is this normal? It makes me wonder whether I've hooked something up incorrectly, or whether I should have bothered with the bleeder resistor in the first place. By comparison, my P1eX build (also with a 220K bleeder) takes considerably longer to discharge. I'm not sure what to make of this.

Comment

It's right.
      That's how tubes work... when they get hot, then conduct a lot of electrical energy and load the power supply down... they are in a sense, in parallel with that little bleeder resistor, so the voltage goes to the path of least resistance, the hot tubes.
      Bruce

Mission Amps
      Denver, CO. 80022
      www.missionamps.com
      303-955-2412

Comment

Thanks - that makes sense. It's just that I'm so used to being warned that the caps will retain a charge, it was strange to see them discharge somewhere other than through the bleeder.

Comment

Can't believe no one has mentioned yet... That's one of the prettiest cabinets I've ever seen.
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I agree, really nice work.... I'm jealous. I still need to make up 2 heads and 2 cabinets for my builds. The first few I plan on covering in tweed, but once my wood-working skills are better, I hope to make one or two out of black walnut and leave it uncovered.
            My Builds:
            5E3 Deluxe Build
            5F1 Champ Build
            6G15 Reverb Unit Build

Comment

Yah Chuck, I'm gonna go ahead and give that cabinet the gold star... This forum now officially needs a gallery!!! Nice work!

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                Can't believe no one has mentioned yet... That's one of the prettiest cabinets I've ever seen.
                Yep, that's really a beautiful cabinet. Congrats on the build too.
                "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
                - Yogi Berra

Comment

Beautiful build. Congrats!
                  Valvulados

Comment

Here's an amp I finished up a few weeks ago for a customer.... not a 5E3 but a good looking Fender tweed V-Front Super clone.... an early 51'-52' type Super. Using a 5C5 chassis.
                    NOS 5U4, 6L6Gcs and three 6SL7GT triodes...
                    Attached Files
                    Bruce

Mission Amps
                    Denver, CO. 80022
                    www.missionamps.com
                    303-955-2412

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce / Mission Amps View Post
                      Here's an amp I finished up a few weeks ago for a customer.... not a 5E3 but a good looking Fender tweed V-Front Super clone.... an early 51'-52' type Super. Using a 5C5 chassis.
                      NOS 5U4, 6L6Gcs and three 6SL7GT triodes...
                      Looks great, Bruce. I wish this forum had a gallery of all these builds
                      Valvulados

Comment

Originally posted by jmaf View Post
                        I wish this forum had a gallery of all these builds
                        It does... Or did? More than half the entries are defunct due to changes in site allocation or other. And there's some spam at the end.

AMPAGE -- Homebrew Gallery
                        Last edited by Chuck H; 06-12-2011, 05:12 AM.
                        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                          Had never seen that, Chuck. Thanks for the pointer.
                          Valvulados

Comment

Love it! Love the "racing stripes"! Nicely done. One of a kind, that's for sure. I'd be afraid to gig that one cause I wouldn't want to ding it up.

Comment

Yeah that is a great looking cabinet.
                              But, actually Michael from Swart amps and MOJO were doing "racing stripes" on cabinets 7-8 years ago. Ha ha
                              Last edited by Bruce / Mission Amps; 06-26-2011, 07:21 PM.
                              Bruce

Mission Amps
                              Denver, CO. 80022
                              www.missionamps.com
                              303-955-2412

Comment

Working...
                              X