Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did i blow it ordering turrets instead of eyelets for my build?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did i blow it ordering turrets instead of eyelets for my build?

Just occured to me...am I going to have clearance issues with the jack sockets using turrets and standoffs in the 5E3 chassis I have? (Hoffman)?

Can turrets be cut down in a few areas, or should I just order a new board with eyelets?

Depends on the layout and board construction. Do you have pictures?

Maybe Bruce will weigh in- he knows these things well.

jamie

Comment

Still waiting for parts so I haven't put anything together yet.

The board is the standard 5E3 from watts, with turrets.
      Chassis is standard 5e3. Probably going to use Cliff Jacks, but haven't decided.

I'll have to mock it up I guess. Worse case maybe use nut instead of the standoff, and trim the turrets with a dremel on that side.

Or be lazy and reorder a board with eyelets...but for some reason I just don't care for eyelets. Never used them though.

Comment

The turrets aren't normally much higher than the components themselves. A big 0,1uF cap would probably be much higher than the standard turret. If the layout works and you are comfortable building an amp that way, then it'll probably build and sound great!

Jake

Comment

Cool, thanks!

Guess I"ll have to see what happens. LOL Hadn't thought of that.
          I'm more comfortable with turrets. I built Metro JTM45 and JMP50 clones, but went rogue and am doing the 5E3 off the fender layout and BOM at hoffman.
          Some donated parts are helping too. (free MM OT doesn't suck!)

Comment

I haven't built a tweed yet, but I like using turrets. I've seen a few 5E3 boards that are turrets.

Comment

Turrets will clear the jacks, but you must orient the jacks in a particular way. I've a build at tdpri.com. that shows the way.
              Lately I'm cutting off turrets 2 thru 8 (under the input jacks only) at the knuckle to shorten them. A dremel cutting wheel does it with ease. pics at Home Page

Comment

I've built using both.

It doesn't matter either way. Don't worry about it, have fun building!
                In the future I invented time travel.

Comment

If it will fit, go with the Turrets, but then again I like Marshalls!
                  Terry
                  "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                  Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                    If it will fit, go with the Turrets, but then again I like Marshalls!
                    Terry
                    You and me both.

Just getting the last bit of parts in, and I'll start getting some work done on it.
                    I'll post pics.

Never done a tweed, so I"m looking forward to it.
                    Though I can't do tweed cab. Meh, not a fan. I'm thinking that tooled leather looking tolex Mojo has.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
                      You and me both.

Though I can't do tweed cab. Meh, not a fan. I'm thinking that tooled leather looking tolex Mojo has.
                      You could always go with Some Black Elephant Tolex with Gold Pipe Trim.
                      Call it Fenderall, or Marshaller. lol
                      Terry
                      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                      Terry

Comment

I built a 5E3 with turrets. Never noticed any problem. I used a mojotone chassis.
                        www.vernonhead.com

Comment

Working...
                        X