Weber 12A100T in a Tweed Deluxe 5E3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weber 12A100T in a Tweed Deluxe 5E3

I wanted to see if anyone has tried this speaker in a Tweed Deluxe 5E3? I am looking for a speaker that replicates a Vintage Jensen P12R that was used in these amps. Based on Weber's website, their 12A100T is described as the replacement for the mid to late 50's Jensen P12R. For those of you who have tried this speaker, what are your thought? Thanks!

It's not a bad speaker, and offers plenty of what Ted Weber used to call that "cheap American speaker" tone, but I prefer the 12A125/12A125A (P12Q).

The regular 12A100 with its smooth cone is practically unusable for clean tones, it gives up almost immediately. So, the ribbed T cone (same cone as the 12A125) makes everything smoother and manageable. I think the 100 is more touch responsive and aggressive, but its also darker, less defined, and not as full-sounding as the 125. There is a reason that most vintage amp discussions/boos mention preferring the Tweed Deluxes with P12Q's, which was the other stock 5E3 speaker.

I would go 100T is you want darker, more lo-fi tones, and 12A125A for smoother, more musical tones.

Comment

Thanks for the response wyatt. You are correct that the Jensen P12Q was also a stock speaker in the 5E3. I think it was in the later years if not the last year it was produced. All the 5E3's I have seen on eBay and vintage guitar stores always had the P12R in it. Maybe that is because the P12Q sounded so much better that owners do not want to sell them.

I currently have a Tungsten T12Q installed. It is Adam's (Tungsten Amps) take on the Jensen P12Q made through Weber to his specifications. I have tried Weber's 12A125 and 12A125A. I would have to say I like Adam's T12Q much more.

In this case, I was curious to see how a Jensen P12R would sound in the amp. I wanted to see what the "cheap American tone" was like. I have tried Weber's Signature 12 and 12S alnico speakers. The 12 was dark. I thought the 12S was better, but I found it very bright and loud. Actually louder than the T12Q. I have seen people post that if you are looking for the tone of the Jensen P12R, the Weber Signature 12S was it. After looking at their website, it seems the 12A100T is the way to go. I am hoping it is not like the Signature 12S. I also did not want to spend $105 to experiment since I have done that on other speakers. If other people have tried the 12A100T in a 5E3, please keep this thread alive. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
      X