first 5E3 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first 5E3 build

Here are photos of the finished project.
    You folks helped me with a few chassis issues....thanks again.
    I bought the plane pine cab and did everything else.
    3 coats of straight Bulls Eye, Amber Shellac...I wanted the darker look.
    This thing sounds like the 60s all over. I love it straight out of the box !
    Doc
    Attached Files

What amp did that speaker come out of?
    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

I am not sure....maybe a 70s Twin Reverb?
      Here are the codes on the small white sticker :
      12T6-10
      465-307

Comment

It looked like an old Twin Reverb speaker to me. Where did you get that chassis with only two input jacks and the controls marked Volume Bass Treble?

Nice looking build BTW!
        WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
        REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Thanks.

Got chassis and transformers off Ebay from the same person. Decided not to add the 2 other input jacks.......I only need one.
          I will probably change the control labels with the clear film from Office Max that you run through your printer.

Comment

Excellent build Doc! 8-)
            Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Thanks Tubeswell..............this has been an amazing journey for me.

I grew up with a dad who played these types of Fender and Gibson amps in the 50s, 60s, and 70s.

I had forgotten that "magical" sound until I played this 5E3. Many thanks to you and everyone else

who helped me "get my feet wet". Oh...by the way....that 73 Super Reverb you helped me with is finished and

sounding great with no issues at all.

Comment

Super nice looking build!! A 5e3 was my first build(only built 2 units from scratch so far). I would probably want the other two inputs because I really like bridging the channels -- super thick OD <3

I love the slight irregularity in the shellac. Makes it look naturally aged a bit. SHARP SHARP SHARP!!!
                ~Semi-No0b Hobbyist~

Comment

Hey mort.....thanks for the compliment.
                  I never thought about the bridging aspect, maybe I will get out the old drill.
                  Doc

Comment

Hi Doc, you don't need to bust out the drill just yet. Another couple of ways of doing the input with the existing number of holes in your chassis are:

1) to have the 2 inputs configured as a pair of fender hi-lo inputs (with 2 x 68k and 1M) permanently going to both grids of V1 (|| grids) and then use both vol controls to mix the signals from each channel's plate. You can even have separate cathode resistors/bypass caps (or even different plate resistors) on each channel to get tonal and/or gain variation between the inputs.

2) to wire the switches on the 2 inputs to give a single stage or two parallel stages (depending on which one you plug into) as per Merlin Blencowe's channel switching inputs idea in his 1st book. That way you can have the T-B tone stack with a vol control (as per the way you have the chassis marked out).
                    Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

hmmmmmmm........... I think I may look into Merlin's channel switching.
                      Thanks for the tip tubeswell

Comment

That was high-seas journey, Doc— way to go!!

Comment

Thanks deci belle......................I enjoyed every swell...

Comment

Working...
                          X