5E3 speaker question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5E3 speaker question

What's your take on fitting a modern speaker like a celestion blue into a 5E3? The stock vintage baffle hole has to be moved in order to fit a larger sized speaker in there. I remember Bruce saying it was his favorite choice for that amp, I believe, with the Weber coming in close.
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

I think a stock AlNiCo Blue does fit... it is the Red Fang from Eminence that does not.
    Bruce

Mission Amps
    Denver, CO. 80022
    www.missionamps.com
    303-955-2412

Comment

Not sure about the Blue being described as a modern speaker!
      Anyway, the bell cover over the magnet can be removed easily, if that helps.
      Pete
      My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Agree.
        A Blue is a very good 40's technology speaker.
        Short light paper coil, very narrow gap, Alnico magnet, light adhesives, snappy and efficient .... sort of an improved P12N .
        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I have a cab made to stock Fender dimensions, a mojo chassis and a new UK made Celestion Blue, and it will not fit that configuration. The PI tube is in the way. And I sure don't see how that bell cover comes off. My Weber 12A125A has the same issue, so for that one I took off the bell cover. Mojo had a Labor Day weekend sale with 5E3 cabs for $199 shipped, but they told me a Celestion Blue will not fit their cab, and that it was a $45 upcharge to move the hole, and that they could lower it to $30 if I bought two.

I must have been given some bad info, because my builder told me the original Tweed Deluxes were built around the smaller Jensen speaker, and the larger backed 'modern' speakers were not around yet. i admit, I don't really know. I have heard here from someone I trust that the Blue was the best sounding speaker in a 5E3. And I am trying to figure out how to get one in a cab to hear for myself.
          It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Originally posted by Randall View Post
            I have a cab made to stock Fender dimensions,
            No...well, yes...well, maybe. I believe "stock" for Fender varied all over the place the Jensen P12R and P12Q was 6" deep without the bell...but Fender used a bell.

Here is a real 1960 5E3 with a real '60's Celestion/VOx Silver Alnico...this was my amp for a long time. (click to enlarge)

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2143.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	830944

This fits.

But I doubt it would fit my current Amarillo Cab, which places the speaker a good 3/4+" further over. I trust the Amarillo is based on a real Fender cab as well, but eventually, I may need to swap out the baffle. (click to enlarge)
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2103.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	830945

And I sure don't see how that bell cover comes off.
            You have to remove the label, there is a screw under it. Be warned the magnet isn't much smaller, but it should save you ~3/4" on depth, which should be enough.
            Last edited by wyatt; 09-11-2013, 04:04 AM.

Comment

What's your take on fitting a modern speaker like a celestion blue into a 5E3? The stock vintage baffle hole has to be moved in order to fit a larger sized speaker in there. I remember Bruce saying it was his favorite choice for that amp, I believe, with the Weber coming in close.
              I built a 5e3 and the celestion blue fit the stock baffle board and cabinet perfectly

Comment

Working...
              X