Alnico Blue..Safe in my Vintage 5E3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alnico Blue..Safe in my Vintage 5E3

Excuse my ignorance but will fitting the Blue harm my 1959 5E3.

It will be here today, I read in a thread about fitting a Attentuater

Don't want any more expense..

Thanks

Gibby

this questions comes up a lot. instead of having us retype the answers, could you try using the search function? lemme know if that doesn't work for you and i'll provide a link to the existing thread.
    "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

here are the terms to type into google to perform a site-specific search that hits all of the relevant threads. if you like, just do a simple cut and paste of the words below into the google search box.

Code:
      blue 5e3 site:http://music-electronics-forum.com
      have fun.
      "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Originally posted by Gibby View Post
        Excuse my ignorance but will fitting the Blue harm my 1959 5E3.

It will be here today, I read in a thread about fitting a Attentuater

Don't want any more expense..

Thanks

Gibby

the blue will be fine in your 5E3 and it'll sounds stellar!

Comment

Alnico Blue in 59 5E3

Sure it sounds great but not in the same way !

I can't get that over driven Neil tone with out being ridiculously loud and even
          the it's to spikey for my ear's.

My P12R should be back repaired soon, ok it won't be a loose as it was
          but I'm sure it will be more or less what I'm after.

Thanks

Gibby

Comment

you are running 6L6s in your Deluxe..right?

Comment

Tubes

All they say is M/P Made in China !

I have the 5Y3 in there, my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe has Two whacking big Tubes, 6L6. Should I be running these in my 59 ..

The label in the cab says, 5Y32 GT, 6V6GT, 6V6GT, 12AX7, 12AY7

Make any sense ?

Thanks

Gibby

Comment

Neil uses 6L6s in his '59 5E3. Other mods are necessary if you want to run these safely (such as replacing the cathode reistor with a 10-watt unit)....I'm guessing that will kick the power up to perhaps 18 watts, the main difference is a little more headroom. The reconed P12R MAY be ok using those....

Comment

6V6's

Thanks for the advise it is very much appreciated.

I have checked and my Tube's, they are 6V6's....

I don't require any more head room with the Celestion in there, but when the
                  P12R return's more head room could be welcomed.

What speaker does Neil use, I like the idea of 6L6's but will cry if I blow the
                  Jenson again

I have a C12Q here which sounds nearer the P12R than the Alnico Blue !

Huge thanks for all your imput

Paul

Comment

March '92 issue of Guitar Player has an excellent interview with Larry Cragg, Neil's amp-tech since '76. Although there is a TON of information on Neil's rig, he doesn't specifically mention the speaker. Since they were available with both the P12R AND the P12Q, I'm betting it's the Q model...just more likely to handle the power.

If you like, I'll try to scan-in the two-page interview and send it to you.

Comment

March '92 issue of Guitar Player has an excellent interview with Larry Cragg, Neil's amp-tech since '76. Although there is a TON of information on Neil's rig, he doesn't specifically mention the speaker. Since they were available with both the P12R AND the P12Q, I'm betting it's the Q model...just more likely to handle the power.
                      Neil Young uses vintage Jensen C12N's, reconed using ribbed cones from A Brown Soun.

"We first heard about Larry [Cragg] from John Harrison at A Brown Soun in San Rafael, California. John had told us that he kept a “special stash” of vintage, ribbed Jensen cones that he used to recone the C12N speaker in Neil’s famous narrow panel tweed Deluxe. According to John, an overnite package would occasionally appear shipped from somewhere on tour, and John would recone the Jensen and ship it back to Cragg the next day."

From the Tonequest Report Volume 7 Issue 11, September 2006

http://www.tonequest.com/pdf_pubs/sa...ep06_Proof.pdf

Comment

attached '92 Guitar player interview...download and zoom to read.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I had a Celestion Alnico Blue in my 5e3....I blew the cone one night playing classic rock with my 5e3 cranked! Ouch that hurt. they aint cheap. Now I use a ceramic Hempcone Tone Tubby...I love it!

Comment

5e3 Speaker

I just record with with my Deluxe or practice.

I need a speaker that will break up nice and early like the original.
                            I had it re conned but it's not the same (((

Gibby

Comment

I never heard the Alnico Blue producing such smooth distorted tone as when 5w amp is used on it, otherwise it's been a favorite speaker.
                              15w amps when pressed into 1 x 15w speaker seem to distort or make the speaker cry a bit by the time it's into heavier tube/output distortion, for that I prefer 2 speakers and have greenbacks in 2 x 12'' cab. which is much too loud for bedroom, about right for gigs.

Comment

Working...
                              X